Light advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fordx4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well since I finally know my truck will be built time to start buying mods. My last truck I had a bullbar with two 6" KC Daylighters on the front. I felt these provided a good amount of light. I want something with equal brightness and distance. Will any of the Rigid products do this for me or will I have to stick with incandescent or HIDs?

SOCOMech

Famous Raptor
Reaction score
As they sit today, your good ol' fashion round HID's will put a bit more distance than the LED's like Rigid. However, I'm very impressed with just how much light the Rigid's put out along with how much area they cover. I like having the entire area in front of me lit up, then you can see off to the sides better and it's good for making those quick maneuvers. I know some talk about out running the light at speed but I've been around 80mph at night and feel perfectly comfortable with what my Rigid throws, you're just not going to be going that much faster in a stock Raptor across rough terrain anyway and if you are going 90 plus, odds are it's somewhat flat.

CineSLR

Roaming Shutterbug
Reaction score
Leds offer much better coverage up close, HIDs go the distance... A little of both is ideal but spendy. I would probably start with some D2s up front because of their bang for the buck and versatility. For the bigger LED bars I'd look into VisionX...

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

Fordx4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well after another close call with 3 deer Ive decided I have to put more lights on the Raptor as soon as I get it since stock sucks. Do I get the Duallies or will the D2s be a huge jump up?

Raptizzle

FYT
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just installed my D2 spots and would recommend them wholeheartedly!

IMG_0857.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

Fordx4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How is the throw of the lights? Another option, Would the 20" lower grill bar be better than D2 fogs?

Last edited:

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've checked with Rigid and none of their LED lights are street legal, not even when used as fog lights. For off-road they're the cat's meow, but they're trouble on the street.

I stuck with halogen units: Pilot PL-88W fog lights in the bumper cut-outs, Blazer Crystal Rod fog lights in the lower grill, and PIAA 40 driving lights on the light bar.

spot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've checked with Rigid and none of their LED lights are street legal, not even when used as fog lights. For off-road they're the cat's meow, but they're trouble on the street.

Well that bites. I was just about to order a set of dualies, but if they are not street legal I may have to rethink. Anyone that is running the dualies are you using them on the street? If so do they blind other drivers or do they just lack a DOT stamp?