Go Back   FORD RAPTOR FORUM - Ford SVT Raptor Forums - Ford Raptor > GEN 1 (2010-2014) Ford SVT Raptor Forums > Ford Raptor Lighting Modifications Forum [GEN 1]
Become a Supporting Member         Become a Supporting Vendor

Register to remove these ads.

Ford Raptor Lighting Modifications Forum [GEN 1]

LED Tail Lights

This is a discussion on LED Tail Lights within the Ford Raptor Lighting Modifications Forum [GEN 1] forums, part of the GEN 1 (2010-2014) Ford SVT Raptor Forums category!

User Tag List

Like Tree1Likes

Sponsored By: KC HiLiTES

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2012, 10:06 PM   #1 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

(Thread Starter)
Question LED Tail Lights
I have done so much reading my head is killing me but my gf is getting me a set of led tail lights for Xmas I am doing my research and found a few companies who make themů

1) Recon - All I hear is how horrible it is to deal with this company and how their product is good but quality is "Made in China" $380

2) Spyder - They use quality Philips lighting materials no real complains personally like the look $315

3) Spec-D - Haven't really seen much on them $210

4) CG - Haven't read much on them either $300

5) Option - ?? seem a bit overpriced $475

I am leaning towards the spyder setů anyone have these on black? also wish they had smoked lense on black backset (or what ever you wanna call it)

Chime in if you like
lockman likes this.

-2011 Ebony Black SCrew - Method NV w/ Nitto Trail Grapplers 35 - AFE Stage 2 PowerCore- SCT 5 Star Tuned - LineX Bedliner - SW Headers w/ High Flow Cats and Offroad X-pipe - Borla Xr-1 Mufflers - Mirror Delete - VisionX 6550 w/ Outlaw Claws - Rigid 20" Bar - RPG Raceline Bumper - Icon UCAs and front 3.0s
pwjstruebig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:18 PM   #2 (permalink)

Supporting Vendor

Mentioned: 155 Post(s)

I have the Recon tails and love the dark blacked out look. But have always had problems with them making my turns signals blink fast. The third brake light looks great too but leaked water (Raptor Retrofit is the way to go for that light). I spent some time at SEMA talking with the guys at Spyder. Seem to be some nice quality lights. My only complaint is they don't offer a blacked out version...

Can't speak to the other brands. Good luck!
CrownOffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:37 AM   #3 (permalink)

Full Access Member

(Thread Starter)
I like the dark look as well but I am very very skeptical of buying from recon just heard alot of "horror stories" when dealing with customer service when/if their product breaks.

I was hoping I could possibly talk the Spyder guys into putting a tinted lense on a black background which would be 1-Unique and 2-exactly what I want haha

-2011 Ebony Black SCrew - Method NV w/ Nitto Trail Grapplers 35 - AFE Stage 2 PowerCore- SCT 5 Star Tuned - LineX Bedliner - SW Headers w/ High Flow Cats and Offroad X-pipe - Borla Xr-1 Mufflers - Mirror Delete - VisionX 6550 w/ Outlaw Claws - Rigid 20" Bar - RPG Raceline Bumper - Icon UCAs and front 3.0s
Old 11-13-2012, 03:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Full Access Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

i remember Hella doing for the older generation which i had on a 2006 lariat, and they were perfect. are they doing for this generation? i would buy from them with no hesitation.
zaherachour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:36 PM   #5 (permalink)

Ostrich Wrangler

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)

Be carefull with your lights blinking fast. I just put leds in my stock lights with load restrictors to trick the computer. Didnt work. The computer still figured it out and one side would often blink fast. Then it got mad and killed power to that light completely! Had to have the dealership hook up and reset everything. No more LEDs for me.

Old 11-13-2012, 07:45 PM   #6 (permalink)

Full Access Member

(Thread Starter)
So I called and talk with the guys at Spyder they informed me that the reason they are not putting out the black with tinted is that its ILLEGAL in alot of states. We talked a bit more and I think I am just going with black...

Spyder Auto | Ford F150 Styleside 09-12 LED Tail Lights - Black

then tint them myself. I will end up doing a write up on how to do the tinting. I think that even tinting the stockers would be sweet if you don't want to go LED

Old 11-13-2012, 08:08 PM   #7 (permalink)

FRF Addict

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

I have the spyder tails and i love them. I had them on my last truck and were great too. I had my tails tinted too. If u go to my build thread u can see them.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

2012 Silver Screw Saints Offroad Front Bumper, mid perch, Retrofits 3" FXR w/ Evil Eyes, SW long tube headers, lightning style exhaust, 5 Star Tunes on SCT Livewire TS, Injen CAI, Method DS black w/ machned lip, lots of LED lights, LED tails, Hornblasters kit, WSI springs, RPG PSR w/cooler & filter, etc...
NickPic83 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
Full Access Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

So...am I hearing correctly that if I try to go with LED turn signal lamps I am asking for trouble? I thought the resistor pack you hook up in-line with the circuit effectively fools the truck into thinking the current draw is for a normal incandescent bulb. Comments?
Saber22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:09 PM   #9 (permalink)

FRF Addict

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Originally Posted by pwjstruebig View Post
So I called and talk with the guys at Spyder they informed me that the reason they are not putting out the black with tinted is that its ILLEGAL in alot of states. We talked a bit more and I think I am just going with black...

Spyder Auto | Ford F150 Styleside 09-12 LED Tail Lights - Black

then tint them myself. I will end up doing a write up on how to do the tinting. I think that even tinting the stockers would be sweet if you don't want to go LED
just looked at that link. those are the exact ones i have. they r great.

2012 Silver Screw Saints Offroad Front Bumper, mid perch, Retrofits 3" FXR w/ Evil Eyes, SW long tube headers, lightning style exhaust, 5 Star Tunes on SCT Livewire TS, Injen CAI, Method DS black w/ machned lip, lots of LED lights, LED tails, Hornblasters kit, WSI springs, RPG PSR w/cooler & filter, etc...
NickPic83 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:10 PM   #10 (permalink)

Ostrich Wrangler

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)

Originally Posted by Saber22 View Post
So...am I hearing correctly that if I try to go with LED turn signal lamps I am asking for trouble? I thought the resistor pack you hook up in-line with the circuit effectively fools the truck into thinking the current draw is for a normal incandescent bulb. Comments?
Im just saying I did that and the truck didn't like one of the resistors for some reason. Sometimes it worked, most of the time not and it killed the power to that light. Only the dealer could turn it back on.