LED Bed Light Strip install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ajstar89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey FRF,
Per what I posted in another thread, here are the basics of my install. Hope this helps anyone that is looking to install some lights on their own. Below is what mine looks like. This is a write up of the 12v wiring basics for what I did. This is not a how to because I dont want to be liable for anyone doing anything. However I hope this brings confidence to anyone that wants to take this mod on, its very easy and takes maybe an hour.

photo.jpg

For this install I choose to run a dedicated 12V from the battery to the bed. I decided to do this because I wanted to be able to turn on and off the lights whenever I wanted.

Here is a picture of the battery. I ran the 12v wire straight off the battery terminal, and then installed a standard fuse point (for safety).

IMG_0653.jpg
Next, I ran the wire down the side of the passenger side panel. Here is a photo of the loose wire running down and where it went.

IMG_0654.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_0655.jpg

Then, I fished the wire through the frame with a coat hanger to the back of the cab. The wire got caught up a few times however it will fit, you just need to force it a few times. Here is the picture of my entry point.

IMG_0656.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

When I got to the back of the cab, I brought the wire back out of the frame. I used some 3m zip tie secure points to keep it more secure during the process. Remember to keep the wire loose. The frame and the bed will shift and twist slightly while driving and heavy off road driving.

Here is the picture of the exit point from the frame.

IMG_0658.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_0659.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_0660.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
I then ran the 12v wire up the front of the bed and brought it into the bed through the plastic gromit that I use to drain my Bakflip. Here s the photo.

IMG_0661.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Since I have a Bedrug, it was easy for me to hide the wire and bring it to the back where I wanted to mount it. Here is a picture of the wiring I did, and the ground point. For grounding the system. I chose to use the preexisting bolt here and chose to sand down the paint around it.

IMG_0662.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_0663.jpg

What I used for the install

soldering Iron
pepboys trailer wiring system
Has wires fuse and zip ties and basic terminal connectors
RGB waterproof LED lights from HITLIGHTS 5 meters long
silicon adhesive ( used for installing LED lights, the adhesive on the back of them sucked)
RGB strip to strip connectors X2 ( these work half the time, i usually solder in the wires and cut off the connectors)

Moridin

Reaction score
Nice. Lights look awesome with the carpet. Definitely looks like you put some thought and time into that. :cheers: