LED bars or classic KCs (or the like)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RaptorSteve

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So the first thing I want to put on my truck when it comes in next week is some aux. lights. I dig both the LED bars behind the grill and the classic look of the 8" KCs on the Ford Racing light bar. A couple of questions.

Which setup puts out more light (candle-power/lumens?)

What are the pros and cons of each setup?

Also, I feel like lights up over the roof would give better visibility than ones mounted near the grill. Anyone with an opinion on this? What are the options for putting lights up top and how does it affect MPG?

Thanks for any advice thrown my way.

I tried searching the forums but didn't really turn up any answers, or my search skills suck.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
im a fan of the led's because of the light output/size ratio. im not sure about output comparison, but im thinking the led's are brighter

Big Blue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dont think KC style lights and LEDs are in the same category IMO.

KCs are old school. LEDs are todays technology.

LEDs require no warm-up time (instant on), LEDs are much brighter, LEDs will last much longer, LEDs run alot cooler.

As far as roof mounted light bars, they have a tendency to "whistle" do to the air flow/position.

If you want the best bang for the buck, Get a 20" lower grill light bar. I would recommend Rigid.

TEXAS MOTORWORX

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
^^^^^^^What he said...

I've got the old school 8" KC lights on mine. I went with them because they put out more than enough light for me and look awesome. The LED bars hands down put out more light, but for my taste I like the 8" round lights.

Regardless of what you go with let us know and we can put together a quote for you.

IMG_1661-clean.jpg

Baja Designs

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
LEDs put out a ton of fill light and have great width.

HIDs have great distance. There is very few LED bars that can get close to the distance of HIDs

But like everybody else said LED is the new technology and keeps getting better and better.

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
LEDs hands down. Offroad my buddy always makes me drive behind him so he can see (his light bars are about to be ordered). He calls them my "daylight switches" and they light up everything.

Attachments

• photo (38).jpg
    photo (38).jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 115

SwampKing

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Until you own a set of LEDs, you won't understand. I doubted these little dually's and now I'm kicking myself in the ass for not buying the center led light bar with the d2's. At first I wanted to fill the gaps and I went with led to keep the stock appearance and try to do away with everyone asking, "where are your fog lights?!".......the LED fogs sure brought out the front end, can't go wrong there! Put it this way, I retrofitted my head lights with just about a top notch retro parts and these little dually's white spots are brighter than my projectors at the brightest spot, barely and using 35 watts of power. Also figure the projectors are wide spread driving pattern and the spots are of course focused. just to give you an idea. No worries of ballasts either. If your wanting to see daylight at 200 yards, then go with HID's spot beam. Fullness with a great bit of distance, LED fogs/LED center/hood mounts would be game over. If your wanting more afterwards, go with hood mounts/HID's.
I hear baja designs is pretty on point for getting close to hid distance....correct me if I'm wrong.

LEDs hands down. Offroad my buddy always makes me drive behind him so he can see (his light bars are about to be ordered). He calls them my "daylight switches" and they light up everything.
Can you post night output shots with just your LEDs for us tonight? I'm anxious to see the light output, Especially the way you have your center LEDs mounted.......?

'12 Race Red Raptor SCAB (Loaded to the max!)
SCABS are faster!!
'08 SeaDoo RXP-X Clockin' 80+ GPS