KC 6 inch Halogen to LED MOD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

knine

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Howdy y'all. Yea, I'm back. Summer takes a lot of my time, but I've missed you guys so I thought I'd share what I did this summer.

Do you love the look of the KC bar (Ford light bar) and 6 inch KC lights but just arent gettin' the light output you want? Don't like all those amps getting eaten up by those old KC halogen lights?

Enter my LED upgrade.

I "borrowed" my new LED 6 inch spotlight from my squad car (shhhhh, don't tell) and test fitted it into the 6 inch KC's. Guess what? IT FIT!!! My squad LED spotlight has special function (turn off and back on, and the center flash red, or off and on again and it alternates white and red), so I went and did some buying. I replaced my KC "long distance" lights with Whelen part # P46FLC an 8 degree spotlight sipping only 1.9 amps, 25 watt, at 1600 lumens (a replacement lense is available for this light, part# 68-3971577A30). I replaced my KC "drive lights" with Whelen part # P46WLC, a 60 by 20 flood, 1.9 amps, 25 watt, also pushing out 1600 lumens. The only additional item I needed was KC's rubber lense reflector holder for the NON-LONG DISTANCE LIGHTS part # KC 3028 (about 4 bucks apiece). The long distance lights have the rubber mount that the Whelen bulbs will fit perfectly into, the driving rubber holder is a tight fit (clearance issue in the back of the rubber gasket) and needs upgraded to the KC 3028 gasket. The KC rock guards will still snap onto the lights as these LEDs do not protrude any farther than the old halogen lights.

See pics below !!!

You can find these Whelen lights on Amazon from about 130.00 to 180.00 each depending on model.

The Whelen P46SLC is a 2 degree spotlight, 2.3 amps, 30 watt, 2000 lumens but i don't recommend it. We have them on our new squads and the beam is rediciously thin and concentrated.

Now for the cool part. These lights are also available in a variety of functions and single option steady burn colors. Either steady burn white, a steady burn white / flashing emergency color (for those that can use that in a legal fashion) or a steady white / solid burn red or a solid white / flashing emergency color / alternating white & emergency color (like my squad spotlight). So for those guys that can use a stooopid bright grill light in color (volunteer firefighters, authorized police use, etc) you can now have an offroad bright led AND concealed emergency light in one (the white drops to 1200 lumens in white/color application, the color LEDs are extremely bright and have a built in programmable flash. All you have to do to activate the flash pattern ---one of many---is toggle the switch off and back on. Same switch !! No answer back from Whelen if they would make a steady white / amber toggled light.

Linky to Whelen to drool at stuff: http://www.whelen.com/pb/Automotive/ProductSheets/Lightheads/PAR-46_Series.pdf

I hope this is of use to someone. I am extremely happy with the upgrade. Earin.

NO headlights on in the pics below:
1st: KC STOCK Halogen 100 watt drive and 130 watt long distance
2nd: Whelen LED replacements 60 by 20 flood and 8 degree spot
3rd: Whelen LED 8 degree spot ONLY
4th: Whelen LED 60 by 20 flood ONLY
5th: (left) 8 degree spot (right) 60 by 20 flood

Attachments

• Raptor KC lights conversion 034.jpg
    Raptor KC lights conversion 034.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 139
  • Raptor KC lights conversion 045.jpg
    Raptor KC lights conversion 045.jpg