If you didn't have headlights...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BMWags

Reaction score
Hey everyone.
If your stock headlights were garbage.. What would your ideal lighting set up be?

Is a set of BD squadrons in spot/combo enough for driving? Mounted in the fog location.

Or VisionX light cannons on an NFab bumper mount?

I was thinking even a 20" BD Stealth combo bar. Will that be enough to handle my driving needs in a rural, pitch black location?

I'm trying to see what's best without breaking the bank but these headlights are in need of improvement on my '12 Raptor. Winter is coming in Northern Canada and so is 18 hour darkness! Lol

cbcgeneral

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hey everyone.
If your stock headlights were garbage.. What would your ideal lighting set up be?

Is a set of BD squadrons in spot/combo enough for driving? Mounted in the fog location.

I was thinking even a 20" BD Stealth combo bar. Will that be enough to handle my driving needs in a rural, pitch black location?

I'm trying to see what's best without breaking the bank but these headlights are in need of improvement on my '12 Raptor. Winter is coming in Northern Canada and so is 18 hour darkness! Lol

All the lights that you mentioned are for off-road use only and not only will you probably get pulled over for running them on the road you will blind anyone else who's driving around you. The only lights that can be used for driving on the road will say DOT approved. I know Rigid has Dually's and D2's that are DOT approved that can be mounted in your bumper and I'm sure other manufacturers also have their own version also.

OP
OP
B

BMWags

Reaction score
I should add the disclaimer that I wouldn't be running these with anyone else on the road. I certainly know that on rural roads around here, everyone uses off road lights

cbcgeneral

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I should add the disclaimer that I wouldn't be running these with anyone else on the road. I certainly know that on rural roads around here, everyone uses off road lights

Lol then yes they should be more than bright enough. If I just turn on my D2 hood mounts it's like turning on the sun at night time so if you have 4 in the fog light area or even a 20" BD upfront it will give you a ton of light compared to your headlights.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You must be far north for 18hrs darkness, Yellowknife area? Used to live up there, sun didn't come up til recess at school, lol.

FastEddie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone.

Go with an HID projector retrofit. (And make sure you do the projector and not just swap in HID bulbs.) That is first lighting mod I would do. Then maybe the 20" BD bar. Love BD, got a pair of Squadrons and a 20" Onx and its the bomb.

OP
OP
B

BMWags

Reaction score
Corona Raptor: I live in Northern Alberta. A few hours south of there longitudinally.

Fast Eddie: I just ordered a Denso HID kit last night, but only have stock headlights.

I'd still like an additional light source for the long distance to snipe moose and such.

cbcgeneral

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Corona Raptor: I live in Northern Alberta. A few hours south of there longitudinally.

Fast Eddie: I just ordered a Denso HID kit last night, but only have stock headlights.

I'd still like an additional light source for the long distance to snipe moose and such.

Well you can't go wrong with any of Baja Designs lights. They are super bright and throw a ton of light down the trail. There is a lighting shootout thread in the lighting modification section that is really detailed with a lot of good info on the different lights and a side by side comparison of each to help you make a decision.

mike.s

Reaction score
Love my Baja Designs XL80!

Stock HID high beams:
IMG_20150902_235339_zps5tdrveo8.jpg

Baja Designs XL80:
IMG_20150902_235359_zpshgabmqyg.jpg