How To: Replace a Tail Light Housing / Lamp Assembly

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Install time:
-5 minutes

Install difficulty:
-Easy peasy

Tools required:
-8mm socket and ratchet
-good set of strong hands

Install details:
Somehow someway I poked a good size hole in my driver's side tail light housing. This aint no good as it lets water and dust get inside and actually come into contact with the bulbs, and possibly the wiring behind them.

1.jpg

2.jpg

I went to my local Ford dealer and had them order me up a replacement.
Part No:
-Drivers/Left side: AL3Z13405AC
-Passenger/Right side: AL3Z13404AC

List price:
-Driver/Left side: 114.28
-Passenger/Right side: 73.22

pn.jpg

1) Start by dropping the tailgate. You may want to grab a towel to set on the tail gate, so you can use it as a workbench and to prevent the assembly from scratching. I have a bed rug so no worries there.

2) Along the inside of the tailgate jamb, you'll see two 8mm mounting bolts. Use your ratchet to back these bolts out, and remove them.

3.jpg

4.jpg

3) Get yourself into a good position to be able to pull on the housing. You'll want to pull straight back and away from the truck. You're trying to dislodge two mounting pins. Be careful! Its going to take a bit of strength to get it loose, but don't pull so hard that you go flying and/or end up pulling on the light wires when the thing releases.

Here are the pins you just dislodged
7.jpg

Here's where they go in the fender
8.jpg

4) There are three lamps that you'll 1/4 turn in a counter clockwise direction to loosen from the assembly. You have plenty of lead to work with, but still try not to pull on the assembly as you loosen the mounts. I found pressing in toward the assembly and turning at the same time made removal a bit easier.

Here's a shot of it still connected but loose (don't do this! Just for visual explanation purposes only!)
5.jpg

The middle light is obvious where it goes, but the top and bottom are pretty similar. Keep track of which came from where for easy reinstall.

5) Grab your new light and marvel at its cleanliness, its scratchfreedness and its awe inspiring newly molded plasticy smell.
6.jpg

6) Reverse your steps for reinstall, making sure you realign the pins shown in 3 correctly and that you press on the new assembly firmly to reengage them. Also when rebolting into the new assembly, it feels like you're cutting new threads. Just go slow and don't over tighten, and you'll be fine.

7) Yay, you did it! You're a star!

yay.jpg

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I wonder what is so special about the driver side light that makes it so much more expensive...

Ford's order statistics indicate the driver's side is most frequently replaced so they priced it considerably higher than the passenger side light assembly.

(Just kidding but it sounds good)