How I ran a wiring harness from rear to front for backup lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently mounted a set of Rigid flush mount SR-Q backup lights in my rear bumper. I wired them into the reverse wire on the trailer harness so they come on automatically when the truck is put into reverse. I also ran a wire along the frame and up under the hood to one of the upfitter switch wires so that I could turn them on manually if needed.

The existing wiring harness runs along the driver side of the frame, but I didn't want to run along that and then have to come over to the passenger side under the hood where the upfitter wires are located. I wanted to run it directly along the passenger side of the frame and then straight up to the upfitter wires.

I bought these frame spring clips on eBay (link here) that are perfect for running a split wire loom along the inside of the frame. You just insert the clip into a hole in the frame, slide it down until it is snug, and pop the loom under it. I used 9 clips in this installation.
13839255164_4a556e5117.jpg
13838920443_794c837598.jpg

Last edited:

pat'sRAPTOR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Very cool! And a lot easier to run wires haha I usually fish mine through the actual frame with a coat hanger and a piece of string to pull it through hahaha redneck way

Stang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those lights look REALLY good!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Shark

Shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Shark. Looks good and I like the clips. What OD split loom did you use?

It is a 1/2" loom that was part of the wiring harness that came with the light kit. I cut off the switch, relay, and other parts I didn't need and just hooked it up to the upfitter wire in the engine compartment.