hooking 20 lb to upfitter and highbeams

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gsteve

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I saw the thread here once , can't seem to find it now. I want to have my l bar hooked up to my h beams and a up fitter switch so i have have them come on when i hit the high beams , if the up fitter switch is on. Anyone know the link?

Squid 3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Option 1

I did the same thing and it works the NUTZ!!!!

Makes it so you cant drive with the bar on by accident and flashing people at night is way cooler

Drunktank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So option one works? Let's either turn the bar on by either flipping a switch or turning the high beams on? Any pics of which wires were tapped and connected?

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
due to the amount of current the lightbar may carry, i would use a 2 relay setup

relay 1

85 ground
86 power from highbeam
87 constant power
30 goes to relay 2

relay 2

85 ground
86 input from relay 1
87 constant power
87a input from aux switch
30 to light bar

this allows it to be on whenever the highbeam is on but also give you the ability to use separately without the highbeam and will not backfeed power into your system. using the relays will prevent overdrawing current and isolates each circuit. dont forget to fuse it

Drunktank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mind... BLOWN! Im gonna have to draw this up!

By 87A, you mean one of the 4 pass through wires that come from the Aux switch? Also, do you know by chance what color wire is associated with the high beam on the new projector headlights? Figured Id tap in somewhere right behind the head lamp assembly... should be easy to get to. If I understand this right... with the two relay setup your talking about... its actually three relays since the factory one is now in play? Just instead of providing any real power through the pass through wire in the firewall... its really just acting as another switch wire?

Last edited:

J DAMAGE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here you go :

---Relay---
#85--Ground.
#86--High beam circuit.
#87--12V Battery.
#87A--Upfitter switch.
#30--Light bar.
Only need 1-Relay to do the bypass, upfitter switch is fused and relyed.
You can put a fuse on #87, and go to battery or 12v key power ,your call.
Also this is the same lay-out, if you want to use rear ( AUX Lights, dually's) as reverse lights, and up-fitter switch.

Last edited:

J DAMAGE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i knew there was a single relay option, i just couldnt think of it at the time so i opted for the 2 relay setup

Noah, your working to much, time for some R/R Family time, we were talking about this last week, lmao. Remember I emailed you some ford drawings, HELLO McFly, lol. ITS ALL GOOD BROTHER.