Hood vent led lighting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
J DAMAGE

J DAMAGE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did the cut out on the side vents, after seeing and doing the LED side vent, I took it a step further and cutout the SVT logo, someone in the right up asked if anyone figured out how to get both lit, so I jumped at the opportunity, couldn't see any of us paying Recon 180 plus for there product,
I also have to add that ( mprice1234 ) brought and introduced LED modules to the forum, I just picked up on it , and took it a step further, same goes for the hood vent, and vent mod, ( WIZ1500 ) I believe was the one who started it, and the LED strip under the hood vent was ( bigred1097 ) I just went in to explan how to get the hood vent off the truck.

Last edited:

infinitereality

SLC IR/8
Reaction score
Great write up! I was on the fence about about doing it, but after seeing finished pictures I'm definitely doing it!

What's your thoughts on adding another strip or 2 between the ones you installed? Too much or it'd make it the vents stand out a bit too much?

Any chance you could please update OP with with link to those LED strips? Thanks for the write up!

OP
OP
J DAMAGE

J DAMAGE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can add one more, might make it a little brighter, but I like having that spot open in case I want to mod another hole , I already opened the factory hole, and it seems to match up to the side vent very well, none of the 2 are brighter than the other

Reptar

FRF Addict
Reaction score
looks great! I definitely need to do this mod!

Are those LED strips flexible or hard? I'm wondering if there's any way to just snake them into the hole without having to remove the vent?

Can you post the link and the length of the LEDs you used?

OP
OP
J DAMAGE

J DAMAGE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looks great! I definitely need to do this mod!

Are those LED strips flexible or hard? I'm wondering if there's any way to just snake them into the hole without having to remove the vent?

Can you post the link and the length of the LEDs you used?

They are flexible as long as there worm, I had my heat gun with me being it was cold when I did my install, heated the section they were being applied to, as well as worming the strips , the strips I used are 12" long, you can use 10" ,you need 2-strips per side, the strips can be cut down, every 3 lights there is a section for cutting them .
As for installing them without removing the vent, I cant see how your gonna get them to stick, and be straight. The link below is where I purchased mine .

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-12-YELLOW...757031?pt=US_Car_Lighting&hash=item565ece2a67

Last edited:

Achtung667

Reaction score
Hey can you elaborate on how you did the wiring? I'm about to tackle this mod. But am pretty clueless to electrical and wiring. I'm thinking about just taping into the DRLs. But not sure the best route to do this. A splice connector of sorts maybe. A picture on how you wired it might be helpful. Thanks!

Achtung667

Reaction score
I just completed this mod yesterday. A big shout out to J DAMAGE for assisting me with this. Im super happy with the out come. I plasti dipped the hood vents white. Not sure if i dig it or not. I couldnt find a pic of what it looked like so i just went ahead and tried it. I also got a can of red plsti dip so i may change it up latter or just strip it back to black. The LEDs i put on are blue, red, or both. i think the blue looks best but the red matches my map and dome lights. the LEDs came with a little switch to change it that i mounted under the hood kinda cool what do u guys think?

Attachments

• IMG_1293.jpg
    IMG_1293.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 268
  • IMG_1298.jpg
    IMG_1298.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 220
  • IMG_1301.jpg
    IMG_1301.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 249
  • IMG_1305.jpg
    IMG_1305.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 252
Last edited:
OP
OP
J DAMAGE

J DAMAGE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good job with the lights, and it was no problem helping, you have my number, anytime.

Last edited:

infinitereality

SLC IR/8
Reaction score
Achtung667: IMO put the grill back to black.... But DAMN those LEDs came out sick!! How many strips did you use? Got pictures of how you laid them out prior to re-installing the grills? I have 4 strips (2 per side in amber) that weather is finally letting up so I can install them. Seeing yours, wonder if I need more?