Hood vent led lighting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

J DAMAGE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's a few pictures of the hood vent, hood vent hard wear, and veiw of what it looks like, will replace these pictures with better ones,this was mock up and placement, nothing hard wired yet, the flash killed out the true look.
To remove the hood vent, you have to remove the heat shield from under the hood, remove all the plastic push rivets, the 2 lower ones next to the hood hinges have to be pulled with the heat shield they have clips on the back of them, keeping them in the heat shield.
Now you will see the 10mm nut holding the center of the vent ( remove ) and close hood, Now with a small pry bar/ prying tool, ( tape it up) not to scratch your paint, and place a rag or card board between tool and hood for back up, start at back side of vent ( windshield side ) pull up and start to pry, you will need to aply pressure to make the clips pop free, but don't get crazy just work your way around vent.
After you remove the vent, there will be 5 plastic cips that pop out of the vent, you need to remove them from the hood and place back in the vent, CAUTION, they will come out, but there a BITCH, and there are very thin rubber washers on them, you will destroy some if not all, this is the hardest part of the whole job.
After that, have at it, install your lights, cut bigger vent hole or add more holes like ( WIZ1500 ) did, your call, have fun. Hope the pictures help and explan what your gonna see. ( NOTE# YOU CAN NOT SEE THE VENT LIGHT FROM IN THE TRUCK, NO GLARE).

Attachments

• Under hood with heat shield removed.jpg
    Under hood with heat shield removed.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 603
  • Hood vent clips.jpg
    Hood vent clips.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 479
  • Hood vent-1.jpg
    Hood vent-1.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 509
  • Hood vent-2.jpg
    Hood vent-2.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 496
  • Hood vent pass vent removed.jpg
    Hood vent pass vent removed.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 463
  • LED Strip Location.jpg
    LED Strip Location.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 517
  • Hood vent lit.jpg
    Hood vent lit.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 615
  • Hood vent & side vent,.jpg
    Hood vent & side vent,.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 552
  • Inside pic, vent lit..jpg
    Inside pic, vent lit..jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 527
Last edited:

BigBOSS

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Nice write up, sounds like a pain in the ass though. This is on my todo list but it's at the very bottom of the list for now.

OP
OP
J DAMAGE

J DAMAGE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take you about 1/2 hr removing the heat shield and vents, THEN another 1/2 hr removing the plastic PAIN IN THE ASS clips you need to reuse. Or rip them out, and replace with new ones, I might not reinstall them, not sure yet, tomorrow will tell when I hard wire it all in and complete.

Last edited:

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Pretty slick. I do like the idea of getting some other vent holes in there.
Informative write up. I'm surprised it's such a pain to get the vents off. I'll probably end up breaking one of those clips.
You should enter the DIY monthly contest.

Yukon Joe
www.RUNRAPTORRUN.com

OP
OP
J DAMAGE

J DAMAGE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty slick. I do like the idea of getting some other vent holes in there.
Informative write up. I'm surprised it's such a pain to get the vents off. I'll probably end up breaking one of those clips.
You should enter the DIY monthly contest.

Yukon Joe
GREAT LAKES RAPTOR EXCURSIONS

Nothing a few others havent done, I just tried to explan it, and show start to finish, instead of teasing people with finished pictures, leaving people wondering, and yes this is where you want to be to open or add more venting holes, WIZ1500 would be the person to talk to about the PROS and CONS on opening or adding to it,

Maxx2893

Rock and Roll Offroad
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was getting ready to try to tackle this to open up the vents, thanks for the informative write up. My plan is to open them up pretty big being in the Texas heat.

OP
OP
J DAMAGE

J DAMAGE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was getting ready to try to tackle this to open up the vents, thanks for the informative write up. My plan is to open them up pretty big being in the Texas heat.

I would think persons such as your self, and people who off road in very hot situations might benifit, more than the once in a while off roader, or area's with changing climates. but looking at my pictures I may just open the fatory hole up more, just because im there, and its a MOD that dont cost money, lmao.

OP
OP
J DAMAGE

J DAMAGE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, got the LED's completed, also modded/opened factory vent hole (WIZ1500 MOD), didn't add any extra vent holes, just opened up the factory hole, giving it a little more, more holes can be added if needed, and can be done with out removing the vent, took a few pic's to show, thank god its done, its now snowing,LOL.

Attachments

• Hood Vent mod (top).jpg
    Hood Vent mod (top).jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 341
  • Hood Vent Mod & LED's.jpg
    Hood Vent Mod & LED's.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 359
  • Hood vent Mod (bottom).jpg
    Hood vent Mod (bottom).jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 344
  • Hood Vent Mod- Left & Right.jpg
    Hood Vent Mod- Left & Right.jpg