HID or LED?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doc Constantine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want to change my front bumper to a frame cut style, so I can get better approach angle and shorten the the truck up over all.

Here's my question: Do HID lights throw further/wider than LED's? I *feel* like they have better spread but that might just be in my head.

I was thinking about switching from my current visionx HID's to something like KC's new pro6 so I can shorten it up.

Here's what I currently have:
FordBoltOnFrontBumper_009_zpsdvugi4dw.jpg

FordBoltOnFrontBumper_010_zpssbhln5sb.jpg

Will I even notice a difference?

Thanks!

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
OP
OP
Doc Constantine

Doc Constantine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
during trr testing, the hid lights had more distance.

Thanks, this is what I was suspecting, the HID's have always been brighter than my LED bar, but tech could have improved over the years.

Thanks for the tag, @Mariner.

Presently, HID is the brightest, furthest lights on the market. LED is more energy efficient, but if distance is you goal, HID will be the brightest, furthest reaching setup available.

For the best HIDs on the market, I'd recommend the KC HiLiTES Carbon PODs.

You can check them out here: https://www.apollo-optics.com/colle...roducts/carbon-pod-hid-light-pair-pack-system

Thanks! I'll probably do a Pro6 on the roofline anyway, so you'll hear from me soon for that!

You will if you change out the headlights HID too.

That's on the todo list!

Looks like if I keep the HID's the easiest path will be the RPG's raceline.

boarder1995

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got HID BajaDesign LaPaz lights and they throw further than my Rigid LEDs. BUT, they come on much slower. It takes them a little time to get up to brightness. LEDs of course come on immediately. HIDs do produce some heat so that helps melt snow and ice, and LEDs don't typically.

WRCRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
One thing that helps most HIDs is the lager reflector and housing gives grater distance then most LEDs. The higher the wattage HIDs are better also. The new LED lights like the KC pro6 have big reflectors so they may be close on distance. The traditional LED light bars put out lots of light but lack true distance because of the small reflectors.

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
One thing that helps most HIDs is the lager reflector and housing gives grater distance then most LEDs. The higher the wattage HIDs are better also. The new LED lights like the KC pro6 have big reflectors so they may be close on distance. The traditional LED light bars put out lots of light but lack true distance because of the small reflectors.

Some great points here and you're spot on about the 6" reflectors in the Pro6 making a huge difference in distance.

You're also spot on about the traditional LED light bars for example, Rigid E-Series. However, with some of the newer style designs, think Baja Designs OnX6 Racer Edition and KC HiLiTES Flex series, using larger reflectors and tighter optics, the distance of the bars is increasing rapidly.

That being said, bigger reflectors are king. For every amount of distance you gain from a smaller reflector, you're losing spread, think of an adjustable focus flashlight. So there's a trade-off.

It's always best to build your lighting setup with your overall goals in mind so that you can adequately cover all necessary lighting zones for your driving style.

---------- Post added at 12:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:36 PM ----------

Thanks! I'll probably do a Pro6 on the roofline anyway, so you'll hear from me soon for that!

Happy to help! We've got a couple more spots in our pre-order if you're wanting to get the new Pro6. They're limited availability in the first round, but we've got guaranteed sets and they'll be shipping by the end of the month.

raptor36

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I vote LED. Instant on and off. No warm up. Less internal parts to vibrate loose. I hear HID lights throw a light further. But, I also hear LED lights are fast on their tail.

I agree with the above statements regarding reflector size. I don't see the point of stacking small LEDs and finger nail size reflector on top of each other. Which is why I opted for the Visionx XPR series light bars and Visionx 4.5" light cannons. All of which are mounted on my second truck.
8fb403c57481f32abe6b26e6e8609ef2.jpg
ed03c5bf4e400e2d90fbd5e2cb46f0ab.jpg
Above two: visionx XPR
http://www.ramforum.com/f41/visionx_xpr_light_bar_review-75146/
73c4c27b8b21af22a41c513a5aa00b45.jpg

cf1109efb1c43babb89227a2cc9a38df.jpg

Above two: visionx 4.5" light cannon
http://www.ramforum.com/f41/visionx_light_cannon_4_5_review-83919/#post1272351