GEN 1 Headlight Switch w/ Fog Pullout Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hopscotch

Reaction score
I was looking for ways to free up some of my Aux Switches and came across this thread: http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f170/install-f150-headlight-switch-fog-driving-lights-20586/
All of my information for this write-up comes from that thread. I just want to condense it and add some useful pictures.

I have 4 Rigid Duallys for my fog lights that I moved from Aux switch 1 to my new headlight switch. I have a relay mounted on the driver side near the Aux switch relays. The way I set them up, if you have the headlights on auto and the switch pulled out, the fogs will turn on when you unlock the truck or remote start because I used the hood ambers as a source for the relay. All of this is explained with pictures later on.

Here's the main stuff you'll need:

Ford 9L3Z-11654-CA - SWITCH ASY
You can order this for ~$60 on amazon or try to get lucky at a junkyard.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0031BX03Y/?tag=fordraptorforum-20
ceIuRID.jpg

Absolute USA 1 In-line ATC Fuse Holder, 1 Relay RLS125 12 VCD Automotive Relay SPDT 30/40A and 1 SRS105 12 VDC 5-Pin Relay Socket
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007XLDREU/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

9-Position Female D-Sub Crimp Type Connector (276-1428)
Radioshack
zz1BqzV.jpg

The Install

Start with disconnecting your battery. If you don't, when you take the plug out of the switch all of your lights will just turn on and stay on.

I had a lot of wire left over from other light installs, so I didn't have to go buy anymore wire, but I would recommend getting some wire smaller than 20awg for the plug on the switch.

We'll start with the power source. I used the battery. I was using some left over Rigid wiring so it had an inline fuse and a ring for the battery bolt, but the relay kit I used will come with a fuse holder so you can splice it in. I put a 10amp in there. Tried a 5amp but it blew it. One of the red wires here is for my VHF radio.
wjKvqal.jpg

DHzdu7z.jpg

Then I ran the power wire under the plastic vent in plastic flex tube stuff with all my other aux light wires that needed to cross the engine bay. Since I was using a Aux switch for my fogs before, my wiring for them is setup on the passenger side of the truck so I had to run another wire back across here to power the lights. The lights were already grounded near the battery.
EviMVFF.jpg

YrU3xL9.jpg

Here you can see where I mounted the relay. The relay has a tab with a hole for mounting and there's a perfect hole in the plastic to mount it to here.
NlGuGxS.jpg

For the relay plug I went ahead and labeled all my wires to make it easier while joining the wires together.
N9Ka5JL.jpg

This is the relay "schematic" I put together (very useful thing I found in the other thread). I color coded everything to the actual relay and wires I used. Should be pretty straight forward here. To illuminate the little orange light on the switch when your fogs are on, you'll need to send power to it. I spliced in with my power directly to the lights. To get power from the ambers, undo some the electrical tape going up the flex tube stuff on the hood then find the Yellow and Green wire. You can also see this wire in the plug connected to the ambers on the grill.
3iWG1GQ.png
7GHC8Di.jpg

l04cvfW.jpg\

There's two wires that are going to the switch through the fire wall. Here's a good place I found to send them through. There's a fat rubber nipple on the top of this large rubber grommet that you can cut a slice into to feed your wire through. On the inside of the truck, it's just a hole already.
dbyc5iT.jpg

Q1ZCzTw.jpg

Now for the actual switch install. There's 3 tabs holding the switch into the panel. With the door open pull that side panel off with the hole in it to be able to reach back there easily.
oX6C59l.jpg

6r6Roou.jpg

Here's the switch from the back. The red and black wires are the ones I added and they also follow the color code on the relay picture.
XfLskmy.jpg

Pull the plug out and you can pop the red cover off it from the side edges. Pulling the red off may not be necessary but it helps to see if your new pins went all the way in.Now you can crimp or solder the D-Sub pins to the two wires you sent through the firewall. Shove them into the plug like pictured above (this is why I recommend smaller wires here).
ydyN7bt.jpg

Now put the plug back in, stick the switch back into its slot, and give it a try. And don't make fun of my overusage of buttconnectors and electrical tape, I know it looks terrible :grd:
Let me know if you have a better idea or if I seem to have missed somethng, I'll add it in.
fYfvYj6.jpg

Last edited:

wheresaldo

Reaction score
So the wiring harness that came with my rigid duallys is set up almost identical. However, the relay has the power from battery and the power to the switch light going to 87 and the output to to fogs on 30. Does this seem right?

OP
OP
Hopscotch

Hopscotch

Reaction score
So the wiring harness that came with my rigid duallys is set up almost identical. However, the relay has the power from battery and the power to the switch light going to 87 and the output to to fogs on 30. Does this seem right?
I guess if it works, yea. That circuit must work both ways. Makes sense that way to me anyway.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have wide pattern D2s mounted in my valance wired to this switch. It's one of my favorite mods, especially out in the boonies. They're my deer spotters!

wheresaldo

Reaction score
So just got done with the install, lights work. However, light switch illumination light constantly on and regardless if I pull switch up or push down there is no change.