headlight lens stress cracks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jdowens1

Ford Senior Master Technician
Reaction score
If i'm under wrong subject you guys feel free to move it. Around 3500miles I noticed my headlights were getting small stress cracks in shape of x from 1/4 to 3/8 diameter. I replaced them under warranty since no other vehicles seem to have this issue. Anyways i know a lot of pwople are messing with there headlights so I'm just wondering if anyone elses lenses have seen stress cracks. I attempted to take pics but you cant see cracks in pictures.

Stepside

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lenses were never coated with anything?
Could possibly be a bad batch of lenses that have little of no UV inhibitor?
I wonder if exposing one of the lenses taken out to UV would produce further stress.
Definitely seems like a cross-linking of molecular stucture is occurring.
Cheaper to replace than recall.
Thanks for the headsup.

mblgjr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've only seen this on lenses that were covered with a film (protection or tint).

Vash

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Cracks across top of lens

Has anyone else had this issue? I'm in the process of trying to contact @Raptor Retrofit to get Dawson's suggestions, but does anyone have any ideas regarding what might cause this? I've attached an image. I just recently noticed cracks forming above the top of the headlight lens. The rest of the lens is in perfect condition. This has occurred on both headlights. These are retrofit headlights, but the only thing aftermarket is the wiring harness. The housings are 100% OEM and unmodified.

I take great care of my vehicle and keep the headlights clean and coated with paint sealant to protect them. No idea why this happened and there's no signs of impact. I can feel the edges of the cracks if I run my fingernail across. Is there anyway to seal and/or prevent the cracks from spreading?

Attachments

• IMG_5893.jpg
    IMG_5893.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_5890.jpg
    IMG_5890.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 98
Last edited: