halogen vs projectors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bakab1010

Reaction score
to you guys who have made the upgrade, i have a 2010 and want to upgrade to the projectors. i have done some research but i hear mixed opinions are they worth the money. I know the retro fits are the the way to go and plan to send them off down the road, but can you guys help me justify the pretty penny they cost with some opinions who have made the jump.
thanks

NickPic83

FRF Addict
Reaction score
it is a lot of money buy honestly with how bad the halogens are and how good the projectors are it is worth it. the output is waaaaaayy better. further and wider spread. also the high beam function is absolutely awesome.

for the record i have the FXR's with 50w 5000k HID's. performance will vary depending on projector and wattage as well as kelvin....

Last edited:

Double Tap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just installed a set of OEM HID's from Dawson over at Raptor Retrofit. Install was a piece of cake and Dawson's customer service is just impeccable. I can't recommend the guy's company enough.

Light output is WELL worth the investment. Ford never should have put such crappy headlights in the early model Raptors.

OP
OP
bakab1010

bakab1010

Reaction score
Thanks guys I just haven't seen them in person but am really excited to do the swap and go with a retro fit down the road, is the osram 55 watt the way to go for the first upgrade after or just do it all at once in your opinions?

Double Tap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went with the factory Ford projectors and am very happy with it. I can't imagine them being brighter, but obviously the 55 watt units are! :)

We just got back from the maiden voyage with the HIDs in the truck and the difference between the OEM HIDs and the halogens that came in my 2011 was nothing short of amazing. I debated this upgrade for over a year and finally decided to pull the trigger earlier this week.

Now I'm wondering why I waited so long.

I think which projector you go with could be determined by what sort of terrain you drive on regularly. Around here it's mostly twisty country roads with city and highway driving. The straight-away distances normally aren't that long and when they are, they're well lit already.

If I lived somewhere out west where the straight distances were massive, I'd have likely gone with the 55 watt upgrades.

OP
OP
bakab1010

bakab1010

Reaction score
Mountains and snow conditions I want to be prepared, 30 inch bar a set of ambers and these headlights I should be ok. I am re thinking at this point and just going for a fxr build with the halos mine as we'll get what I ant first time. We'll see though.

---------- Post added at 12:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:25 AM ----------

Thanks for the replies guys I think u have gotten me off the fence and I will be doing the conversion for sure!

OP
OP
bakab1010

bakab1010

Reaction score
What's your guys opinions on the grey housing vs the black I like the black but then I feel like from what iv seen I should paint the grille, if I go grey I think it looks a tad cheap but blends better. Any pics of the two ? I have done quite a bit of searching for good examples but I am kinda back and fourth on this too ha.. I should have named this the I can't make a decision thread.

---------- Post added at 05:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:18 PM ----------

Can't wait to see the your build as well