Halo burned out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Crawfj13

Reaction score
I have a set of Sick HIDs that are about 2 years old. I've had to replace the ballast in one (Brian was pretty helpful and sent me out the part right away), other than that I haven't had any major issues. Today I noticed that one of the Angel Eye halo's is out. If I get real close, I can see that there is still some light coming from the base of it, so I think there is a break in the circuitry somewhere inside the halo itself. I've sent an e-mail over to Brian at Sick to see what he recommends. I figured that while I was waiting to hear back from him, I'd throw something on here to see if any of you guys with his headlights have had any similar issues. My fear is that I won't be able to get into the housing to replace the halo. It looks like he did a pretty good job of epoxying it closed, the last time I looked at them.

OP
OP
Crawfj13

Crawfj13

Reaction score
There's no doubt that I'll have to open the housing. I'm just trying to figure out how to open it after it's been epoxy/glued back together without destroying it.

They are CCFL, btw.

IRONMAN

Reaction score
Sounds like the CCFL is burnt out. Most likely will have to be reopened and swapped out.

OP
OP
Crawfj13

Crawfj13

Reaction score
I agree. I just went and checked out the seals on the housing. It looks like they may have just used the original seal (which may explain why one of the fogs up when it rains). I guess I'll take the headlight out tomorrow and see what it's going to take to open it up.

---------- Post added at 07:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:39 PM ----------

I just heard back from Brian, he recommended that I swap the CCFL inverters side to side to see if the problem follows the inverter. After thinking about it, this is probably going to be the problem since the CCFL's are rated at about 50,000 hours of continuous use (just over 5 1/2 years).

hosseface

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree. I just went and checked out the seals on the housing. It looks like they may have just used the original seal (which may explain why one of the fogs up when it rains). I guess I'll take the headlight out tomorrow and see what it's going to take to open it up.

---------- Post added at 07:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:39 PM ----------

I just heard back from Brian, he recommended that I swap the CCFL inverters side to side to see if the problem follows the inverter. After thinking about it, this is probably going to be the problem since the CCFL's are rated at about 50,000 hours of continuous use (just over 5 1/2 years).

I think that is a known weak point of retrofits. I've seen Dawson (Raptor Retrofit) and Bil (Bilinvic Retrofits) no longer offer any sort of warranty on Halos. Can't blame them there because they can't control the quality of the product.

NickPic83

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think that is a known weak point of retrofits. I've seen Dawson (Raptor Retrofit) and Bil (Bilinvic Retrofits) no longer offer any sort of warranty on Halos. Can't blame them there because they can't control the quality of the product.

i have the led halos and already been thru a few drivers and now have another issue. im going to try anther new driver but i fear the ring is bad and i have had them for less than a year....fingers crossed i got a bad new driver

hosseface

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And just to add:

It does appear the brand new LED products are more reliable.

Still a bummer your lights have to be opened up though.

Sitdown

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The fact that you got 2 years outta the ccfl's is impressive. In my experience, the LED's started failing after a couple months. Us beating the hell outta our trucks just speeds things up. No way am i going back to stock, but had to give up the LED flare.

As mentioned most of the retrofit product derives from the same source, so can't beat the builders up too badly ;) Most important, buy from someone who will stand by their product. Dawson has been stand up in that regard

OP
OP
Crawfj13

Crawfj13

Reaction score
I just pulled the headlights and swapped the CCFL inverters to try and pinpoint the issue. The halo ring is fine, it's just the $4 inverter.

That being said, if I find one more F'ing cheap t-connector or interior wire nut on this truck I'm going to lose it. The wire ends are corroded and even rusting in places. I had no idea that the previous owner did all of his electrical work this way. To each his own (it was his truck at the time), but I'm surprised that he didn't take the 5 minutes to do things right.

At least I have a cheap and easy project for the weekend. Thanks for the input guys.

:mfr_closed1: