Grounding lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cdcalaway

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you guys ground out your lights do you do it to the body/frame nearby or run a negative back to the battery?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 12951

Depends. I don't have any thing I've added that goes directly to the battery. Everything connected to the battery is factory.

I have a bus bar for negative that connects to the factory ground in the sidewall. For everything in the front, I run negative to that. For things in the rear, I've been running it to the frame.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i am hesitant to scrape paint to make a good ground in the rear of the truck. i usually run it forward and ground up front somewhere. lights dont draw a lot of current so the long ground is fine

OP
OP
C

cdcalaway

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i am hesitant to scrape paint to make a good ground in the rear of the truck. i usually run it forward and ground up front somewhere. lights dont draw a lot of current so the long ground is fine
I was just curious as to what most on here do. I hate running any extra wires, so at work I ground to the nearest bolt.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
run 14ga speaker wire. it holds plenty of current for lights and since its a pair, you just do one run to the front. i always run extra wires whenever i work on a truck and they want something doen in the back. that way next time all im doing is running wires from the drivers kick panel.

OP
OP
C

cdcalaway

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to run a 0 guage to my cross box, and put all my relays and fuses in there, then run everything from there. I figure I will pull 70-80 amps

---------- Post added at 09:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:21 PM ----------

I am running each pair of lights on there own color

---------- Post added at 09:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:22 PM ----------

One more question. How do I make the power switched?

---------- Post added at 09:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:25 PM ----------

Do I use a coil and run signal from the ignition