GEN 1 Fog lights under $200???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
dhanni848

dhanni848

Reaction score
Learned my lesson. I am not in a cold super foggy area (Nashville, TN), so I was just really looking for something to give me some extra low line visibility, and light of the lines when it is foggy. If I am somewhere with no light at all I can get some extra light. I am going to take them apart and seal them, shouldn't be too hard at all.

stevelp99

Reaction score
What @SilentShooter said.

If you live in an area prone to foggy conditions and real fog lights are what you want, then there are LOTS of options in your price range that are effective. Sirius, for example, has a whole slew of fog lights in your price range: SIRIUS PRODUCTS - AUXILIARY LIGHTING / FOG LAMPS Do some searches at AutoAnything, 4WheelParts, or RealTruck. Heck, even Amazon has fog lights.

Brackets on the GEN1 Raptors are a no-brainer. A straight piece of 2 inch wide steel available from Home Depot or Lowes is all you need. There is a frame member that runs across the front of the GEN1s right behind the bumper hole that already has holes drilled in it right where you need them to be. It'll take an end wrench and some dexterity, but that's how I hung my fog lamps there. If you do it that way, be aware that the bumper is quite curved and if you want your fog lamps deep in the bumper hole you will lose some light directly in front of the truck because your fog lamps are mounted too deep and you're illuminating the back side of the bumper. After several trial and errors, I settled on brackets that are 7 1/2 inches long. I wouldn't go any shorter than that.

One last thing. LED fog lamps are problematical for two reasons. First, most are not certified by their manufacturer to be DOT compliant. If you really need fog lamps for on-road foggy conditions, it makes no sense to buy lamps that aren't certified and may draw the unwanted attention of law enforcement. Second, LEDs don't produce enough heat to melt off freezing spray in cold conditions. Good old halogen fog lamps do. If you live in a cold, foggy climate, halogen fog lamps will serve you much better than LED fog lamps.

I just installed Rigid SAE/DOT D Series fog lights with the OEM fog switch by rewiring the relay harness that came with it. They have great low line cut off lines, nice wide angle, perfect for poor visibility conditions, or everyday use. They were about 210$ on amazon. I got the mounting plate off of amazon too for a fraction of the price that rigid has them for. The bracket doesn't come with hardware so I went to Home Depot and got some 5/16 bolts (1in. for outer and 2.5in. for inner), lock washers and nylon locking nuts. I also got Rigid Dually Floods (not for road use). I'm also planning on trying out some Diode Dynamics SS6 Amber SAE/DOT fog lights, mounted where the license plate is. Diode Dynamics also sells a SAE/DOT fog light in white too.

The fogs are bright enough you could almost run with just them. (I'll post a picture of that when I get a chance.) I haven't had any issues blinding anyone, haven't been flashed as the cutoff line is as sharp if not sharper than the oem xenons, I've driven by law enforcement with 0 issues. But do take time and align them properly as with any light. These add coverage where the low beams just don't cover well enough. My floods are aims off to the sides as I'm planning on adding a flood/spot combo behind the grille, just haven't decided how big of a bar or location.

Rigid D Series DOT/SAE fog lights and Rigid Dually flood
IMG_3523_zps0trgybqg.jpg

OEM fog light switch retrofit
IMG_3521_zpsf9tqvcgs.jpg

Low beams only
IMG_3575_zpsqtcqucug.jpg

IMG_3541_zpsvcesry6z.jpg

Rigid D Series DOT/SAE Fog Lights only
IMG_3571_zpsniv6zrrw.jpg

Low beams and Rigid D Series DOT/SAE foglights
IMG_3576_zpsqzxbircp.jpg

Rigid Dually Flood Lights (off road)
IMG_3570_zpsyawwnxbd.jpg

And for when you need a nightlight
IMG_3577_zpsn0cyiizy.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
dhanni848

dhanni848

Reaction score
I just installed Rigid SAE/DOT D Series fog lights with the OEM fog switch by rewiring the relay harness that came with it. They have great low line cut off lines, nice wide angle, perfect for poor visibility conditions, or everyday use. They were about 210$ on amazon. I got the mounting plate off of amazon too for a fraction of the price that rigid has them for. The bracket doesn't come with hardware so I went to Home Depot and got some 5/16 bolts (1in. for outer and 2.5in. for inner), lock washers and nylon locking nuts. I also got Rigid Dually Floods (not for road use). I'm also planning on trying out some Diode Dynamics SS6 Amber SAE/DOT fog lights, mounted where the license plate is. Diode Dynamics also sells a SAE/DOT fog light in white too.

The fogs are bright enough you could almost run with just them. (I'll post a picture of that when I get a chance.) I haven't had any issues blinding anyone, haven't been flashed as the cutoff line is as sharp if not sharper than the oem xenons, I've driven by law enforcement with 0 issues. But do take time and align them properly as with any light. These add coverage where the low beams just don't cover well enough. My floods are aims off to the sides as I'm planning on adding a flood/spot combo behind the grille, just haven't decided how big of a bar or location.

Rigid D Series DOT/SAE fog lights and Rigid Dually flood
IMG_3523_zps0trgybqg.jpg

OEM fog light switch retrofit
IMG_3521_zpsf9tqvcgs.jpg

Low beams only
IMG_3575_zpsqtcqucug.jpg

IMG_3541_zpsvcesry6z.jpg

Rigid D Series DOT/SAE Fog Lights only
IMG_3571_zpsniv6zrrw.jpg

Low beams and Rigid D Series DOT/SAE foglights
IMG_3576_zpsqzxbircp.jpg

Rigid Dually Flood Lights (off road)
IMG_3570_zpsyawwnxbd.jpg

And for when you need a nightlight
IMG_3577_zpsn0cyiizy.jpg

If only I could afford them! Trust me I would have gotten these in a heartbeat.

pughde

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess these type of lights are no longer acceptable or sellable, seems everyone is going LED.
view

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TwistAir