Fog lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Philip02

Reaction score
I was wondering if I could hook all four fog lights to one 30 amp switch? They are 18 Watt 9~32Volt. There will be 4 in total. Thanks a lot.

SilentShooter

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Its simple. The 10~30v is stating what voltages the light can operate at.

And your load is easy to calculate. Take the watts and divide by 12 and that is your total amps. On a 30 amp circuit you could support u to 360watts. I try not to use more than 90% of a circuits rated load

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just because you can do it does not mean that you should. There are conditions where one set of fogs is a LOT better than two sets of fogs. There's a sweet spot in everything, and too much of a good thing can be self defeating. If I were you, I'd wire your two sets of fog lights separately so that you retain the flexibility to choose one or the other or both.

The Macf

FRF Addict
Reaction score
is it 12 or 14.4? 12 is the battery at rest but 14.4 is when the vehicle is running (lights most likely on) and the alternator is charging the battery. @The Car Stereo Company to the rescue please.

---------- Post added at 02:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:00 PM ----------

is it 12 or 14.4? 12 is the battery at rest but 14.4 is when the vehicle is running (lights most likely on) and the alternator is charging the battery. @The Car Stereo Company to the rescue please.

SilentShooter

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Always work of 12v when calculating load. two reasons, first is if you run your calculations of 14.4v and then turn on the lights at 12v you actually have a greater load then you calculated.

Also while the alternator does put out a higher voltage just like in car stereo if you have enough load IE lots of lights and your are at idle or low rpm your alternator might not be putting out enough amps so your battery is supplementing it so you will see voltage drop. There is a reason why we call it a 12v system. 14v is the charging voltage.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the most important thing to remember is to never run very close to a fuses maximum rating. this will eliminate any chance of overload.