Faulty Morimoto 3Five and 5Five Ballasts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Irunone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With recent subzero cold snap my retrofitted hid's with Morimoto 5Five ballasts have not been lighting at times. Usually can get them to light by turning off and then on again. Ballasts were purchased last May. Spoke with Dawson (Raptorretrofits) and he is well aware of some ballasts being faulty. Theretrofitsource.com (404-220-7940) posted info at hidplanet.com (see below) and they will send out upgraded replacement ballasts at no charge. Hopefully this will save some of you guys some hassle of trying to figure out what's going on with your retro fits intermittent firing in the cold.

From hidplanet.com/theretrofitsource.com:
Update: Morimoto 3Five and 5Five DSP Ballasts
Problem: We've recently encountered an issue where Morimoto 3Five and 5Five "SS" ballasts are failing to fire bulbs reliably in the cold. The specified igniter in the ballast puts out 16,000V on start up under normal operating conditions, which is more adequate to fire up most any bulb. Naturally when the temperature of the magnetic core in the igniter drops so does its capacity to produce that high voltage, and therefore in cold weather the output of the igniter is only right "on the fence" of being able to strike the bulb on reliably. How something like this passed by all year long without being noticed is truly beyond me, but as soon as temperatures started falling this winter it became clear that we had a problem on our hands.

Resolution: Once the issue was identified we took immediate action to solve it. The original MCU-Chips that were responsible for regulating the output to the bulbs were replaced with an all new ASIC-DSP circuit, which can track and adjust bulb output about seven times faster than before. They're also capable of doing so with less components, so the entire system is more efficient. Kinda like replacing your trusty old Acer with a new Macbook. And of course, the igniter....which we replaced with a much beefier Siemens model capable of producing 20,000KV (4000 more than before) so even when its capacity drops in the cold, it will still be well above the required threshold to strike the bulb reliably. The shell of the ballast has been thickened by 2mm to accommodate the bigger igniter as well. It wont be until the ballast temperature reaches -40F until things get sketchy again, so unless you're driving around in the arctic ocean, you should be fine!

We are addressing complaints on a case-by-case basis at this point, and are replacing ballasts in pairs to ensure all the problems are solved. It has affected just about 10% of the total ballasts out there (so just because you have an SS ballast, does not mean its bad) ....but 10% is way to high in our opinion, thus the recall. Today, we shipped around 300 sets of ballasts for customers at no charge to them....Some were mad about it, some disappointed, but I'm happy that the vast majority were impressed and happy to see us standing behind the product. I agree that something like this would be more typical of a $50 set of ballasts from eBay; but surely if that's what you bought you would get a reply that says "check your connections buddy! don't bother us again" whereas we've recognized the problem, wasted no time in re-engineering the ballast to solve it, and are now shelling out thousands in postage to make it right. TRS baby!

Thank you to all who put up with bad igniters for the past month, we can't thank you enough for your patience.

ARH1956

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are your ballasts the 5Five SS ballasts? My 5Five's are prior to the SS, bought in mid 2012 and have been perfect. Although the coldest they've seen is 10*F here in north Alabama.

Element

Reaction score
I have been dealing with this issue for a couple months now and although it has been incredibly frustrating, I am happy that TRS recognized a problem and are fixing it. Have you tried the new ballast yet? I'm awaiting my replacements.

Unfortunately it's been -50C here recently lol.

OP
OP
Irunone

Irunone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ARH1956:Are your ballasts the 5Five SS ballasts? My 5Five's are prior to the SS, bought in mid 2012 and have been perfect. Although the coldest they've seen is 10*F here in north Alabama.

Mine are not the SS ballasts but was led to believe by TRS that the new ballasts will take care of the problem. It has been a random driver or passenger side that fails to light and this has only happened when the temp has been lower than about -10F. The recent nights with -20F/plus could pretty much count on one side or the other not working. So far both sides have not failed at the same time. Once ignited however, they work fine, no flicker, cutting out, etc. TRS said the ballasts are on back order and they should be sending out replacements in the next week or so. Then, I'll be waiting for relatively warm day to install.

Element

Reaction score
ARH1956:Are your ballasts the 5Five SS ballasts? My 5Five's are prior to the SS, bought in mid 2012 and have been perfect. Although the coldest they've seen is 10*F here in north Alabama.

Mine are not the SS ballasts but was led to believe by TRS that the new ballasts will take care of the problem. It has been a random driver or passenger side that fails to light and this has only happened when the temp has been lower than about -10F. The recent nights with -20F/plus could pretty much count on one side or the other not working. So far both sides have not failed at the same time. Once ignited however, they work fine, no flicker, cutting out, etc. TRS said the ballasts are on back order and they should be sending out replacements in the next week or so. Then, I'll be waiting for relatively warm day to install.

I initially started with one side failing to fire, and now consistently deal with both failing to fire. Sometimes it takes multiple tries to finally get headlights.

Spider-One

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had a few weeks with plenty of days below -40c and my 3Fives held up great, must have a good set. Good to know if I start having issues though.

OP
OP
Irunone

Irunone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had a tropical melt-up today and was able to switch out the ballasts to the new 5Five DSP's. They arrived quickly from TRS as I was told they would (Thx!). When I replaced, I noticed the old ones actually were the "SS" version, which I forgot. The new ones fire up pretty much instantly. The SS's were quick but the DSP's are noticeably faster. Hope all is good now.