DIY Retro fit headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Armyraptor

Roush Raptor in Qatar
Reaction score
Curious if anybody has saved themselves about $1000 by doing the install themselves? Looking into it I'm just unsure of wiring requirements. If I do this (hopefully soon) I will definitely update with pictures and instructions. Until then if you have done this any tips or advice for paint or brand of LED's is much appreciated.

OP
OP
Armyraptor

Armyraptor

Roush Raptor in Qatar
Reaction score
I hope he does. So far my shopping list from TRS consists of XC 3" LED Strips(2EA side), XC LED Demon Eyes, XB LED C Clamp style (amber) trying to find any knowledge on how to wire them for regular white then amber when you engage the turn signal. and finally 2 3" ZKW-R Clear lenses and will put some etching on them as well.

Found out the C-clamp from retrofit does not do white and switch to amber for a turn signal. Anybody know where to buy the C-clamp LED switchback?

Last edited:

M3toSVT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Parts add up pretty fast. I am in the middle of doing some headlights and have over $800 vested so far. That's for headlights and parts.

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I hope he does. So far my shopping list from TRS consists of XC 3" LED Strips(2EA side), XC LED Demon Eyes, XB LED C Clamp style (amber) trying to find any knowledge on how to wire them for regular white then amber when you engage the turn signal. and finally 2 3" ZKW-R Clear lenses and will put some etching on them as well.

Found out the C-clamp from retrofit does not do white and switch to amber for a turn signal. Anybody know where to buy the C-clamp LED switchback?

Are you planning to upgrade to the EvoXR projector as well?

OP
OP
Armyraptor

Armyraptor

Roush Raptor in Qatar
Reaction score
Hadn't planned on it. What's the biggest differance?
Mainly just trying to figure out the special mounts or anything else thats required, what paint to use to attempt to get color match blue flame (or close is fine), and of course time to do this pain in the ass of opening the lights haha.

t_j

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hadn't planned on it. What's the biggest differance?
Mainly just trying to figure out the special mounts or anything else thats required, what paint to use to attempt to get color match blue flame (or close is fine), and of course time to do this pain in the ass of opening the lights haha.

When I did my retrofits I used spyder housings not OE so not much help on that front. I also didn't use whiskers only halo rings. My build thread has a complete list of parts I used.

For paint, go to your local body shop and have them mix you up a quart matched to your paint code, this is probably the most cost effective way to get it. Then if you don't have a compressor grab a cheep electric HVLP gun to shoot it if you have air grab some harbour freight guns. Don't forget to get a good quality etching primer for your base coat and to give the insides a nice scuffing to get it to stick. It took me a couple of months to get my build exactly the way I wanted so be patient it will pay off in the end.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Armyraptor

Armyraptor

Roush Raptor in Qatar
Reaction score
Awesome I'll look for your thread for tips. I don't have months to do it haha. I have to drive from Fort Drum to Colorado in about a month and I need my truck most days I can get by on my motorcycle but with this new york weather some days it's not possible.

I'm not to great at paintingg myself but I have buddies that do might even have a gun too. I was hoping someone knew of a rattle can that was a close blue even though it's not the best paint it's enclosed so won't be exposed to elements so it would last.
Do you happen to know what size halo ring the stock light would use? and what's the best way to attatch the LED's. I've seen metallic wire used but not sure how that appears over the light
Thanks for the tips.

t_j

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Awesome I'll look for your thread for tips. I don't have months to do it haha. I have to drive from Fort Drum to Colorado in about a month and I need my truck most days I can get by on my motorcycle but with this new york weather some days it's not possible.

I'm not to great at paintingg myself but I have buddies that do might even have a gun too. I was hoping someone knew of a rattle can that was a close blue even though it's not the best paint it's enclosed so won't be exposed to elements so it would last.
Do you happen to know what size halo ring the stock light would use? and what's the best way to attatch the LED's. I've seen metallic wire used but not sure how that appears over the light
Thanks for the tips.

Thats why I got a second set of housings to do it to so I could still use the truck.

With the paint don't forget to use a clear coat as well, I used a matt clear and they turned out great.

Not sure on halo size, I used 3m automotive decal tape to attach the rings to the housing, not great but passable at a distance. Oh and I got my halos from superbrightleds as they had a much better selection than other places.