Deciding on a light set, looking for help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tikicult

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at adding lights to my truck (specifically for the Texas Raptor Run) and I am looking for some assistance narrowing it down. I am trying to get the most bang for my buck, while getting the look I want. (Round lights on bottom and hood mounted on top)

These are the 4 ideas I have in order of descending cost:

1. KC HID
2 KC 850 & 2 KC 851 on Ford Racing light bar
2 KC 640 on Outlaw hood mounts
Cost: $1,400

2. KC Halogen
2 KC 801 & 2 KC 803 on Ford Racing light bar
2 KC 490 on Outlaw hood mounts
Cost: $1,100

3. HIDx
4 HIDx 7" on Ford Racing light bar
2 HIDx 4" on Outlaw hood mounts
Cost: $880

4. M&R LED
20" LED in bumper
2 6" elite on Outlaw hood mounts
Cost: $675

I would prefer the first three based on look alone, but if there was a significant advantage to the LED set, I could be swayed that way. I am planning on keeping the stock bumper for now, but I have a long term plan to change it out to something from ADD or Saints. I also would like some fog/driving lights for everyday use but I haven't started doing any research on them yet, so those would be common to all options. Thanks for the help!

InMotionJosh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would definately look at Rigids. They draw less power, create less heat, etc than a regular light. Also if you plan on going aftermarket for bumpers, most companies will be able to make your rigids work in their bumper so your not having to re-buy lights down the road.

BlueSVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I love the look of light bars with HID lights!

I would have done that, if I didn't get such a great deal on my 43" LED bar.

Timgco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Out of those 4, go with the m&r. Led lighting is brighter, less draw, and plenty of options. I have used Rigids for a few years now. I will not go back to hid's or halogen lamps.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tikicult

tikicult

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are LED really that much better than HID? I ask because I really don't like the way they look. I prefer the old school look of big lights.

BlueSVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No, LED is NOT always better than HID. It depends on the power and quality of the LED optics. Cheap LED bars will NOT throw light as far as an HID light. HID lights throw light a further distance, and LEDs usually provide better "dispersal" type light to fill in like a flood light.

Certain bars, like the high dollar Vision-X Xmitter Extreme bar truly have amazing throw and great long distance vision compared to cheaper LED offerings. But... You pay for it!!!

On a budget, I'd recommend HID all day long, as even middle level lighting really works well.

(For the record, I have the 43" Xmitter Extreme bar... Super happy with the output, it's ridiculous... But the price is too!)