Cup Holder Lights Flickering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AggieSVT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just installed some DIY cup holder lights that another member on here had a thread about using EL wire and an EL inverter. After tapping into a blue and black wire (20 guage) that came from the shifter, the lights flicker as if they're not getting enough voltage. I don't have a multimeter to test but I was wondering if anyone here has any suggestions as to why it would be fickering? My guess is that it's the inverter, but I could be wrong. I plan to go to a parts store tomorrow and borrow a multimeter.

There are two sets of black and blue wires, I tried tapping the others but those wouldn't work. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

lparis69

Reaction score
Sounds like it's just a bad ground problem if it's flickering.. Try a better ground first before you go crazy trying to figure it out.. My puddle light did the same thing, I ran a new ground and it stopped.. Make sure you got a good metal to metal contact and there's no paint as a insulator. Hope that helps. Good luck

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
AggieSVT

AggieSVT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like it's just a bad ground problem if it's flickering.. Try a better ground first before you go crazy trying to figure it out.. My puddle light did the same thing, I ran a new ground and it stopped.. Make sure you got a good metal to metal contact and there's no paint as a insulator. Hope that helps. Good luck

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Thanks for the tip, I regrounded the wire and it's still flickering. This probably means the inverter is poop or the wire I tapped into is a low voltage wire.

---------- Post added at 10:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:47 PM ----------

Okay, so I guess everyone has their stupid days. I figured out that it was the dimmer on the truck...