Crack open headlights?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Alex Millsap

Reaction score
I've found a few retrofit threads but none specific enough for my issue. I did a retrofit a while back with some 3" FX-R's and I love the output, however when I took the lenses off I ended up with HIDEOUS stress fractures in the lenses. I want to take some 2014 OEM housings and swap some EVOX-Rs into them, because I am crazy about the aesthetics of the OEMs but their output is weak. A TRS rep told me 265° for 8 minutes will open OEM ford housings, but I think this is what I did. Anyone (especially Dawson) have any advice for me?

Raptor Embroidery

aka <b><font color='darkorange'>Raptor_Al_41</font
Reaction score
Mine were too big to fit in my oven so I ended up using a different method. Find a box 4 times the size of your headlights. Put them lens down on a wet towel. (Make sure to remove anything you can before doing so, especially the xenon bulbs) Cut a hole in the side and put a heat gun in it. Set it on high and let it run 10 minutes, rotate the headlights 180 degrees then another 10 minutes. They'll come apart easily and there won't be enough heat to damage the lenses or housings. Pry the lens off gently. Once the lens is off, disassemble the internals and place the housing (back piece made of black plastic) and heat it again. This time, 10 minutes will do. Use a narrow flat blade screwdriver to scrape out all of the left over butyl sealant in the lens channel on the housing. This will prevent the new butyl from forming over the old and possibly causing leaks that will result in moisture.

OP
OP
Alex Millsap

Alex Millsap

Reaction score
Ah, looked for t but couldn't find. Thanks.

---------- Post added at 09:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:52 PM ----------

This is exactly how I did it with my first retro, still got stress cracks.

Mick VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
265 for 8 minutes wont work with the permaseal. use a lower temp and bake for much, much longer, and keep putting them back in for a top up as you go

Antlers

Full Access Member
Reaction score
250 degrees for 30 minutes. Use a flat head screwdriver and push the housing away from the lens (don't pry, just insert it in the gap and push). Start at the corner of the headlight "step". Once you can get your hands in there, pull them apart. Make sure you pull the 7mm bolt out of the rear near the turn signal bucket.