CANBUS or regular HID ballast?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DCSVT1

Reaction score
I'm going to get a HID conversion kit and am curious if I need to get the CANBUS ballasts or are the standard/slim ballasts fine? I had a set before and had issues with them burning out in less than a year but chalked it up to cheep Chinese junk. Maybe that wasn't the issue...or maybe it was? Now with my new headlights I want to get another HID kit but am now curious about the CANBUS ballasts.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
canbus is designed for vehicles that have the headlight out notification. our trucks dont tell us when a headlight is out, so canbus in not necessary. using a canbus in a non canbus system, and non canbus in a canbus vehicle CAN damage electrical components. not all the time though. however you HAVE to use a canbus ballast in a canbus vehicle

OP
OP
D

DCSVT1

Reaction score
canbus is designed for vehicles that have the headlight out notification. our trucks dont tell us when a headlight is out, so canbus in not necessary. using a canbus in a non canbus system, and non canbus in a canbus vehicle CAN damage electrical components. not all the time though. however you HAVE to use a canbus ballast in a canbus vehicle

Thanks! Exactly the info I was looking for. I didn't believe our systems needed CANBUS but didn't realise it would hurt. Regular it is.