Bumper lights vs roof rack

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cthomaschase

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys,

What are the pros and cons of having a light bar on the bumper vs. mounted on a roof rack?

I definitely like how some of the light bars are integrated into a front bumper, but I was also contemplating adding a roof rack as well.

THanks.

A.I.I.Raciing

Dezert 8MYMNEY
Reaction score
I can't tell you about the LED's, but I know all about Hella 4000's. With 4 lights up top and 2 on the bumpers on I could shut off the 2 on the bumper and couldn't tell the difference. So I ended up taking the bumper lights off the truck due to them being useless in the dezert...

7.jpg

SPRSNK

I Void Warranties
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll tell you when I get mine. I ordered the ADD roof rack and the Stealth Bumper. My point behind doing this was to not cut down on the amount of air going into the engine. Otherwise I would have done the double 40" lights on the bumper.

drraptor

Reaction score
Had one on the roof of my old truck, you can't park in a parking garage... Also if you have a sunroof it will inter fear and cause excessive wind buffeting sound...

JP7

Likes Canadian Mudbaths
Reaction score
Had one on the roof of my old truck, you can't park in a parking garage... Also if you have a sunroof it will inter fear and cause excessive wind buffeting sound...

Lol - I've only found one parking garage in this city with more than 6'8" clearance anyway!

Madcowranch

Genetically Modified
Reaction score
JP, did I ever tell you my uncle, aunt and cousins live in Calgary? Near some golf course if I remember correctly.

JP7

Likes Canadian Mudbaths
Reaction score
Cool - there's a few courses around here though. Send me a PM if you'd like me to hook up with them to go for a spin :)

OP
OP
cthomaschase

cthomaschase

Full Access Member
Reaction score

yeah, good point, gotta check the garage at work.

OP
OP
cthomaschase

cthomaschase

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't tell you about the LED's, but I know all about Hella 4000's. With 4 lights up top and 2 on the bumpers on I could shut off the 2 on the bumper and couldn't tell the difference. So I ended up taking the bumper lights off the truck due to them being useless in the dezert...

yeah, i suspect it's also a matter of testing and seeing which you like the best.

Crabtreepaw

Reaction score
I just installed the bumper and lower grille lights today and im going to have to say they are amazing. My old truck had them on the roof and the only difference i can think of are these. (Please correct me if i am wrong)

Bumper
Pros
Easy install, briter than you could believe, makes the headlights not even worth useing. This set up is ideal for good cruises through the woods and stuff but not race style, great for hunting.
Cons
Light in bumper may cause excessive heat, and could possiblly render some air flow into the radiator. lower grille- If you are planning on haulin ass field of view is very important. The faster you go the quicker you pass by the light. So lower grille (if you havn't replaced your bumper) would be pointless in race style conditions.

Roof rack
Pros
Keeps your bumper "clutter free" while keeping high ammount of light in front of you. It gives you many options for driving, applicable for all conditions
Cons
Sounds could become a bit irritating at times (but those times who is paying attention) maybe slight wind rattle at higher speeds. not sure though bc i havn't ridden in a raptor with the roof lights yet.
Also mention'd above is the possibilitie of not being able to use your sunroof. This is not the case on all racks but def something to be worried about.
Hope that helps.

After installing the lower and upper bumper today i am really impressed with the light output and also, we did not want to add more to the facia to the truck at this time so the hidden light behind the bumper was ideal.
Good luck with your choice ;)