GEN 1 Brights and dims same time?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Michimaniac

Reaction score
Hi,
I just put some aftermarket halo projectors in my 2010. I'd like to wire the brights so that the dims come on with them, but I obviously wouldn't want the brights on while I'm driving with just my dims.

How would I wire that up? Since I want both sets on when using one option, but only one set on the other, it's not as simple as just jumping the two relays or splicing the hots running to the lamps themselves. I tried searching the google and here, but maybe I'm using the wrong terms, because I'm coming up with diddly squat.

OP
OP
Michimaniac

Michimaniac

Reaction score
I thought about splicing the hots with an inline diode, but that leads to two potential issues:
1. The forward voltage drop across the diode (rated for ≈10A) could be as much as 2.2V. That's sort of a big deal.
2. If the relay for dims isn't active, are the dims still going to have an active ground? It's possible I don't know enough about the existing wiring/relays. i.e., are they SPST and just switching the hot? Or are they DPST and completely disconnecting hot and ground? (I'd guess they just switch the hot, but who knows?)

I could jump the relays themselves with an inline diode, I guess. Then it could be a simple switcher rated <2A, and I can probably use say a 1N4148 or some such, with a much smaller forward drop. Is that what you meant?

AndysLog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
those headlights have garbage light output compared to oem projectors.
plus the headache you are currently climbing through.