Blue Interior Ambient Lighting Door Panel Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Assassin

Reaction score
Door Panel Ambient Lighting Installation

First off I want to say if you want to do this project, go to Oznium.com to get your leds. They have it all, from lights to switches. Also, I want to apologize in advance because I can't do a step by step instructional for the whole project ergo no pictures were taken since I didn't plan on posting my project on here as an instructional.
This is mostly just for the panels, but I will include what I can.

0102150733_zpsc02871fb.jpg
0102150803a_zps19a453ed.jpg
0102150804_zps295db4f4.jpg

These are the tools I used not just for the panels, but for the whole project:

-Electrical Tape
-18 or 20 Gauge Wire
-Wire Stripper
-Electric Drill
-9/16 and 7/32 Drill Bits
-Panel Removal Kits ( Amazon.com: HDE 12 Pcs No Scratch Car Vehicle Stereo Radio Receiver Dash Panel Removal/Installation Tool Kit: Automotive )
And ( Astro Pneumatic 4524 Auto Fastener and Molding Removal Tool Set, 11-Piece - Air Tool Maintenance Kits - Amazon.com )
-Liquid Tape
-Bondic Liquid Plastic Bonder ( Amazon.com : Bondic® (Starter Kit) The World's First Liquid Plastic Welder! Bond, Build, Fix and Fill Almost Anything in Seconds! Your Hard Fix For Sticky Situations. (Bondic® Starter Kit) : Office Products )
-Wago, PosiTap, and Various Other Types of Connectors

List of LEDs:

-2835 Surface Mount ( Tiny Prewired Super Bright Surface Mount LEDs - 12V DIY Plug and Play SMT LED )
-6mm Flush Mount LED Bolt ( Flush Mount LED Bolt )
-LED Dimmer Knob ( LED Dimmer Knob - panel mount )

Alright, first off remove the door panel. For those of you that don't know how to do this, you can watch this video on Youtube. ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhdZIQ2x3rM )

Once Panel is removed, set it aside out of the way. Remove the kick panel,
then the next thing you need to do is unplug the big connector in between the door and truck, and pull out the rubber loom seal from the door.

This next part is the biggest pain in the ass and the hardest part for the whole project only because there's hardly no working room. Once you complete this, it's smooth sailing from there.
Twist the connector housing counter clockwise (or clockwise depending which side you're on) and push on the bottom. It should come loose and just hang inside the door frame. Take the 9/16 drill bit and drill a hole on the bottom of the housing in between the blue seal, and the plastic clip. Once completed, poke the wires through that hole, then pull them out through to the other side behind where your parking break is using either a wire or small fingers (another PITA). 0101152111_zps37a98bf0.jpg
0101152112_zpsba885af7.jpg

Poke a hole through the rubber door wire loom and feed the wires through it, then into the door itself. 0101152111c_zps0f99b7ce.jpg

Pull the slack out of the wires and make sure you have enough length to splice or connect the wires behind the dash before reinstalling the plug harness. (I used Liquid tape to cover the hole around the wires on the housing and the loom just as an extra precaution.) 0102150647_zps80405fc9.jpg

If you've completed this part then congratulations, the hard part is over.

This is how I routed my wires on the door.0102150646a_zpsbcdae130.jpg

Now the lighting placement begins. This part is totally personal preference so you can ad more lights or use different placing options than I did, it's up to you.
I drilled a small hole on the door handle housing just big enough for the 2835 surface mount led to shine through. 0101152159_zps3860fd86.jpg

This next tool I used is called Bondic. It's a liquid plastic that stays liquid form until exposed to UV light. This stuff makes wiring and led projects a lot easier. Simply squirt the plastic where you want it, turn on the light and hold in on the liquid for 4 seconds, then it instantly bonds like a super glue.
0101152200b_zpsc0c3942d.jpg
0101152201_zpsc65d51a2.jpg
0101152200_zpsf144f6ed.jpg
0102150701_zpsd9465832.jpg

I drilled a whole using the 9/32 bit on the panel under the window switches for the LED bolt. 0102150648_zpsff54aff5.jpg
0103150849_zpscd6cce67.jpg

This is what my connections looked like before re-installing the door panel.0102150727_zps13e1891e.jpg

Now, finished project. 0102150803a_zps19a453ed.jpg 0102150803_zps2c6b88ee.jpg

This is the dimmer switch. It's an on/off low to bright and I recommend it. (the silver push button switch is connected to the outside red accent lights, unrelated to the interior)
0102151432_zpse79c52d8.jpg

Let me know what you think.

Last edited:

AbnMP13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You running a switch AND dimmer on those lights?

2014 Terrain SuperCrew
Vortex Mud Guards ~ Husky Floor Liners ~ Rigid Dually Flushmounts ~ Rigid Dually Clear & Amber Pods ~ Recon Smoked Mirror Lights ~ Bakflip FiberMax & BakBox ~ SVC Tune ~ Rigid 20" E2 Series - Combo ~ Mid Perch ~ Underhood & Bedlights ~ Rigid 40" Combo ~ ADD Stealth ~ Retrofit Headlights

OP
OP
Assassin

Assassin

Reaction score
No, the dimmer acts as a on/off switch all on its own. The button is for my exterior red lights behind my grill, vents, and wheel wells.

Raptor Embroidery

aka <b><font color='darkorange'>Raptor_Al_41</font
Reaction score
Awesome mod!!! I'm going to have to re-do mine soon. I'm wanting to design it so that everything is all one unit with RGB capability to match the color of the buttons on the radio.

OP
OP
Assassin

Assassin

Reaction score
Awesome mod!!! I'm going to have to re-do mine soon. I'm wanting to design it so that everything is all one unit with RGB capability to match the color of the buttons on the radio.
That would be nice. I never would want any other color so that's why I just stuck with blue. Someone on Ford Raptor Owners on FB posted a mod they did to where he installed the platinum cup holder lights and had his software flashed where he could adjust the color on the screen. It looked awesome, but it cost him over 1k. I'm happy with my little $80 interior mod lol.