Best spots for hood mounts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blockdoc

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I want to get a couple hood mounts, and I haven't decided which lights to put on them. I want good spots mounted high like that, thinking probably some kind of HID (unless somebody here can convince me an LED is better). I will have Whelen LEDs next to a winch in the bumper and M&R fogs on the sides, to cover nearfield.

So what lights are best for the hood mount & why? Any problems with HID beam bouncing while offroad?

treypal

Lord of the Raptors
Reaction score
I have Baja designs fuegos on hood mounts. No bouncing. Great light. Combined with my Rigids in the bumper it's more than enough lighting.

Baja Designs

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I want to get a couple hood mounts, and I haven't decided which lights to put on them. I want good spots mounted high like that, thinking probably some kind of HID (unless somebody here can convince me an LED is better). I will have Whelen LEDs next to a winch in the bumper and M&R fogs on the sides, to cover nearfield.

So what lights are best for the hood mount & why? Any problems with HID beam bouncing while offroad?

Fuegos are an awesome HID to get that extra distance. Our Squadron is an amazing LED light and still has better distance and overall brightness then many other LED lights.
If you have any questions let me know
Also FPF members get 10% off
Thanks
Mike
BD

OP
OP
blockdoc

blockdoc

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So I assume the Squadrons have a little less distance than the Fuegos?

If I'm putting LEDs on the bumper in more of a flood or euro pattern, I assume you'd recommend the HIDs on the hood?

Baja Designs

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
So I assume the Squadrons have a little less distance than the Fuegos?

If I'm putting LEDs on the bumper in more of a flood or euro pattern, I assume you'd recommend the HIDs on the hood?

If you really want the most distance yes I would recommend the Fuego.
The Squadron still is very great light but if you really want to be able to run really high speeds at night I would say the Fuego

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These are not for everyone, but holyhell can they reach out and blind someone:

LightForce Striker 170HIDs: LightForce 170 Striker HID Lights - 12-Volt : Amazon.com : Automotive

muddy2.jpg

Here's a crappy shot I took before alighning them so you can (1) get a sense of how bright they are at about 100 feet and (2) how there's minimal glare off my white hood.

1-3.jpg

Really like em huh? I need to make a change on mine. I am running the cheaper 4in from A&B lighting and I love em but would like more light.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah I do. Asthetically speaking, they've really grown on me and functionally speaking I just don't think they can be beat. Why?

-when mounted up there, I haven't seen any other option throw as much light as far as these can
-zero rattling/bouncing/jitter thanks to the mounts and the LF's crazy light (and bulletproof) construction
-adjustable beam patterns. No joke; you can go from a pinpoint spot to a flood with the spin of the housing and/or the swap of a filter
-speaking of filters, there are lots of options to not only change beam pattern, but color as well. Need amber? Throw on amber filters. Need white? Throw on clears. Blue? Need a flood? Need a spot? All possible with 10 seconds worth of filter swap.

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I do. Asthetically speaking, they've really grown on me and functionally speaking I just don't think they can be beat. Why?

-when mounted up there, I haven't seen any other option throw as much light as far as these can
-zero rattling/bouncing/jitter thanks to the mounts and the LF's crazy light (and bulletproof) construction
-adjustable beam patterns. No joke; you can go from a pinpoint spot to a flood with the swap of a filter
-speaking of filters, there are lots of options to not only change beam pattern, but color as well. Need amber? Throw on amber filters. Need white? Throw on clears. Blue? Need a flood? Need a spot? All possible by 10 seconds worth of filter swap.

You might have sold me here!!! At the price in your link...