best routing for wires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fatman

Reaction score
Looking to wire my rigid dually's in my add rear bumper to the up fitter switches. just looking for advice on best route from rear to engine bay? thanks

Jimbo

Mad Frog Mattis
Reaction score
Looking to wire my rigid dually's in my add rear bumper to the up fitter switches. just looking for advice on best route from rear to engine bay? thanks

Follow the passenger side frame rail. Zip tie it every 12-18". Or, others have actually run it thru the frame rail.

D

Deleted member 12951

Ran it up the driver side and tied to existing harness then cross the engine bay through the cowl openings. I do have wire after that install on the passenger side but there really isn't much to hang from

Kahuna

THE MORE YOU PLAY WITH IT, THE BIGGER IT GETS
Reaction score
You don't have to run it all the way to the engine bay. Run it up the frame to the passenger rear door and then up to the rest of the loom under the door sill. Then take it to the upfitter wiring behind the front passenger door side panel. No need to go into the engine bay.

D

Deleted member 12951

You don't have to run it all the way to the engine bay. Run it up the frame to the passenger rear door and then up to the rest of the loom under the door sill. Then take it to the upfitter wiring behind the front passenger door side panel. No need to go into the engine bay.

This is true, you can definitely do it this way. When I got under the dash to connect the wires to the engine bay and cut up my hand, I soldered and wrapped all four wires because I didn't want to get up there again but even then I guess I could of spliced into it. My wires that run to my light rack are run this way and ties into the LVJ panel behind the glovebox.

Flamingo Racing

Reaction score
Drivers side. Undid OEM loom added wire and re-taped (3M). Under the engine bay cowl to stubbed out upfitter wires. Whichever direction you go take your time and make it clean.

punchinpaper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran mine through the passenger side frame rail all the way up to the front wheel well. popped out nest to the wheel sensor wiring (something like that) and tied to it up to the factory wiring spot.

PropDr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I ran my wires inside the frame on the passenger side, in to the cap and connected them to a up fitter switch inside the cap.

NOLA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here ya go:

If you decide to properly run wires to the rear for bumper mounted lights, or something else, this is the proper way. No disrespect to those who just plastic wire tied it to the outside of the frame, but…yeah.

Ok, so get on amazon and get these two items:

Cal-Hawk AZGA125 Rubber Grommet Assortment Set Electrical Gasket 125 Piece

Gardner Bender EFT-21PN 25-Foot Cable Snake Steel Fish Tape, 1/Pk

Twenty bucks total.

Park truck and turn wheel to lock left. Get under it and extend the steel tape to at least the length of the truck. The reel part of the tape is a *************, but what do you expect for 11 bucks. In general it works.

Get under the passenger side and insert the tape in the hole you see in the pic below and start fishing it to the back. I only had to pull back twice and it went all the way to the back. It will come completely out the back of the frame. At the very back, a few inches prior to exit, there is a solid crossbar, but the tape slid right under it.

1o2icx.jpg

I would recommend running two wires (Even if right now you only need one) as a backup for the future, and also putting the wires inside flex-loom before you run them.

Electrical tape the wire(s) to the end of the metal snake. Remember to taper off the electrical tape down so that its smooth towards the end and it won't snag as you pull it.

24nkz7m.jpg

Pull the wire all the way back, and out of the hole near the passenger tire. I grabbed one of the grommets and slid it down the wire and into the hole and with a little bit of wiggling, it fit right in. The kit comes with a butt-ton of grommets, but there is one that fits best, second to biggest with the center already cut out.

Plastic wire tie your wires to the factory wire thats right there and just toss up into the engine compartment, you can find it from the top, and then cleanly install it next to the other factory wires, and connect it right there to your uplifter switch wires.

NOLA