Best hood mount light?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

puddle hunter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
(Yes I know I sound like a broken record but...) Has anyone really tested the range of these lights mounted up top in a real world way?

I guess I'm asking because I'm running the LightForce Striker 170 HIDs on the hood, and I am comfortable saying I can see a cow or large boulder in the way when moving at high speeds out to about 300 yards. Plenty of time to stop or adjust my course.

But that's the limit of not only my lighting, but my eye's ability to recognize an obstile as well. I'm having a hard time imagining seeing something of that size at nearly 3x the distance, when getting tossed around by the truck as I'm flying over the dirt, even if I had a light that could hit it.

Your Lightforce Striker 170s at 80 feet....
2-2.jpg

Compared to my HIDX shooting a cone @ 100 feet....
IMG_0325.jpg

I think yours plus mine is just what I'm looking for and it would be insane!!! :hitit:

OP
OP
Madcowranch

Madcowranch

Genetically Modified
Reaction score
Thanks for the pm, Big J! I like the versatility and weight of the Lightforce. I just don't know about the size...

Seems they're about the same price as the VisionX.

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
(Yes I know I sound like a broken record but...) Has anyone really tested the range of these lights mounted up top in a real world way?

I guess I'm asking because I'm running the LightForce Striker 170 HIDs on the hood, and I am comfortable saying I can see a cow or large boulder in the way when moving at high speeds out to about 300 yards. Plenty of time to stop or adjust my course.

But that's the limit of not only my lighting, but my eye's ability to recognize an obstile as well. I'm having a hard time imagining seeing something of that size at nearly 3x the distance, when getting tossed around by the truck as I'm flying over the dirt, even if I had a light that could hit it.

Something like this...
http://www.lightforce.net.au/images/pages/4WD 161 LR2.pdf

If I do hood mounts, I will probably go with the 35w HID LF 140 Lance. Love my Blitz 240, they throw a ton of light.