Best hood mount light?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Madcowranch

Madcowranch

Genetically Modified
Reaction score
After TRR even with Ducati's hid retrofit headlights, more lighting is needed. Forward lighting was fine, but not enough light for the corners. I would have to slow way down for the corners, so a flood would work a lot better for me.
Wish outlaw brackets had the light mounting tabs on the outside of the bracket. Moving the lights further out and back almost in front of mirrors. To reduce the reflection off the hood and increasing forward visibility..
I am going to mock something up and see if our wonderful vendors can make it work..

-Greg

My 40" Rigid fills that bill to a tee.

Now I want some hundred mile an hour lights.:driver:

AlternativeOffroad

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Yes Euro beam and the Optilux is pretty much identical to the HIDX except I believe the front of the Optilix has a little more plastic IIRC. I have a ton of the 4" and 7" HIDX on stock

puddle hunter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes Euro beam and the Optilux is pretty much identical to the HIDX except I believe the front of the Optilix has a little more plastic IIRC. I have a ton of the 4" and 7" HIDX on stock

ditto on this one... those Optilux are IDENTICAL to the HIDX, and the HIDX through Alternative Off Road, are cheaper.

Now I want some hundred mile an hour lights.:driver:

I'm looking for the same! :waytogo:

The HIDX are great for picking up vertical obstacles at 200ft., but you start to lose some terrain definition beyond that. I want some spots that'll let me know whats coming, more than 500ft. out. When I find 'em, I plan on putting them on the Outlaw mounts, and moving the HIDX to the bumper....hopefully a new Outlaw TT Race bumper!:waytogo:

Last edited:

Baja Designs

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Saw the talk on here about the Baja Designs Fuego and just wanted to give you guys some specs on it. The Fuego is a 4" 35 W HID light, that comes in three different beam patterns; spot, driving, and wide cornering. Spot beams provide a longer and narrower beam that focuses the pattern farther in front of the vehicle, Driving beams offer better peripheral vision than the Spot while maintaining good distance projection, and the Wide-cornering beams should be used in association with other beams due to their wide spread and low distance projection. Dont forget that Baja Designs sponsor fordraptorforum.com and forum members get a 10% forum discount. If you guys have any questions please feel free to PM me or give me a call.

Thanks,
Zach BD
760-560-2252 EXT.101

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
(Yes I know I sound like a broken record but...) Has anyone really tested the range of these lights mounted up top in a real world way?

I guess I'm asking because I'm running the LightForce Striker 170 HIDs on the hood, and I am comfortable saying I can see a cow or large boulder in the way when moving at high speeds out to about 300 yards. Plenty of time to stop or adjust my course.

But that's the limit of not only my lighting, but my eye's ability to recognize an obstile as well. I'm having a hard time imagining seeing something of that size at nearly 3x the distance, when getting tossed around by the truck as I'm flying over the dirt, even if I had a light that could hit it.

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
(Yes I know I sound like a broken record but...) Has anyone really tested the range of these lights mounted up top in a real world way?

I guess I'm asking because I'm running the LightForce Striker 170 HIDs on the hood, and I am comfortable saying I can see a cow or large boulder in the way when moving at high speeds out to about 300 yards. Plenty of time to stop or adjust my course.

But that's the limit of not only my lighting, but my eye's ability to recognize an obstile as well. I'm having a hard time imagining seeing something of that size at nearly 3x the distance, when getting tossed around by the truck as I'm flying over the dirt, even if I had a light that could hit it.

Not a broken record (most of the younger generation dont know what that is..) I say you sound like skipping CD... Lol

-Greg