Bar or Pods? Need to decide...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
We have a couple members that will are going with custom racks and are looking at adding four of our 6.7" Satellights up top.

Satellight67_1024x1024.png
Satellight 6.7" (pair) | Apollo Optics, Inc. | Premium LED Off-Road Lighting

If you wanted to go with a smaller option and more of them, we had another customer install 9 of our 4.5" Satellights on his front bumper:
Snyder2_zps279a6888.jpg
Snyder1_zps116be288.jpg
Snyder3_zps30ed3c87.jpg

I know you said a bumper mount was out of the question, just trying to give you an idea of how multiple lights would look on a rack up top.

SuperRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I opted for 5 50watt visionx 6.7 hids. Cause well the pods are insane. Wish they made a non composite version with the same optic

I am curious why you chose the Vision X Hid's versus the 6.7" cannons? Are the HID's going to throw that much further? Not criticizing just curious.

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I am curious why you chose the Vision X Hid's versus the 6.7" cannons? Are the HID's going to throw that much further? Not criticizing just curious.

Distance and output are pretty much identical between the 50 watt hid and the light canon (both 6.7"" the reason I went with the hids was for my rack setup, actuated. The light canon was too deep of a housing and mounting depth.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420320449.244368.jpg

The led canon is roughly 3-4" deeper.

Java

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RDS looks cleaner, pods brighter and won't ice over. I wonder if the pods will offer less glare than the RDS. My plan is 4 pods on the bumper and RDS on the roof. You really can't lose with either choice.

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I get no glare from my hids. I get a little bit of light on the back of the cab but I just need to make some adjustments
8afab890b62ce95f3fe70dff198107da.jpg

That's 4 out of 5 lights

OP
OP
Aramco Raptor

Aramco Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Appreciate all the input guys...thanks.

I had a 50" Rigid on my Jeep and the glare was ridonkulous...but that's because the Jeep was white. Didn't really think that one all the way through :)

Not that it will matter because of the exhaust I am having built...but can anyone compare the wind noise at highway speeds? I know my 50" Rigid on the Jeep wasn't bad...do pods make much noise?

I'm also leaning towards the RDS bar for ease of installation/wiring. I don't have a lot of time at home between runs out here and this is my daily driver.

Thanks again for the input. Will let you know what I go with.

Baja Designs

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
If you decide to go another route , we will be happy to help find the perfect light setup for your needs!

Our 50" ARC OnX6 would be a great option!!
OnX6, Arc 50" Spot LED Light Bar

With 32,250 Lumens and our trademarked High Speed Spot™ reflector, this setup will push light farther than any LED light bar on the market.

MoistureBlock™ Technology (http://www.bajadesigns.com/science-o.../moistureblock) , uService® Replaceable Lenses And Optics (http://www.bajadesigns.com/science-o...ting/uservice-) , and CopperDrive® Technology (http://www.bajadesigns.com/science-o...ng/copperdrive) will insure your light is performing at 100% capacity. Throw in our Limited Lifetime Warranty (http://www.bajadesigns.com/science-o...etime-warranty) and you'll be set for all your outdoor adventures.
PM me if you would like to know forum pricing and shipping on our products.
Send me a message or give us a call at 1-800-422-5292 and I'll be happy to get the lights you want!

Thank You,
Bailey, Baja Designs

ntm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 8.7" cannons are easily 20-30% brighter than the 6.7". They're insane. But I believe the KC pods will still outperform the 8.7" cannons. But I cannot confirm that, I havnt seen them side by side. But being that the KCs are HID at 7000 lumens each to the vision x 8.7" LED at 5800 lumen each, I can't see them not being brighter and throwing light farther.

It's not even close. I'd say the kc hid pods have triple the range of the 8.7" cannons.

Bars are good for area lighting, but lack in range. The cannons throw roughly 30-40 % further than a high end bar.
Hid spots throw easily double what the cannons do, but there is a downside. The "hotspot" is so intense that it kills your night vision outside the spot, especially in hilly terrain where you've got the spots on a land feature closer than a couple hundred yards away.
I'm currently running a 20" bar for fill, two 7" 75 watt hid spots, two 6.7" led cannons and two 4" hid spots.
Got a 50" radius bar, 4 more led light cannons, and 6 more hid spots sitting in the garage that have been on and off the truck at one time or another. I have a problem according to my wife.