Baja Designs: General Discussion Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Baja Designs

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Last edited:

155mm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll give some feedback on the the OnX 8" fog kit.

Pros:
-Awesome beam pattern in wide-cornering. Exactly the pattern I was hoping for; when they are on, I don't feel like I'm driving in a tunnel anymore and can actually see what I'm turning into
-Sturdy construction
-Very nice touch to include the opaque covers; helped me out with my state inspection
-Printed instructions were helpful during install

Cons:
-Passenger side wiring harness was too short, so it looks ghetto crossing diagonally across my radiator. I was too lazy to extend the wires myself.
-There was no two-to-one connector to go from the upfitter power lead to the two power cables for the fogs, as referenced in the instructions. I emailed the vendor but didn't receive a reply so I ended up just cutting the bullets off and connected them via another method
-The bracket doesn't center the light perfectly in the bumper openings, so there isn't as much adjustability as there could be. Quick fix for the self installer is to drill out/slot the whole a little where needed.

All in all, very happy with my purchase and would recommend these lights to anyone. The issues were minor and just given so you can improve the product. These are great quality lights and the lifetime warranty makes them worry-free. I can see some 6" Prerunner HIDs in my future, but gotta save up some $$ first

CP RAPTOR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are the differences between the squadron pro and sport vs the XL versions other than price? I see the lumens are the same but why would I buy the XL.

Also, if I buy BD do I have to get the wire harness or do the lights come with both ends of the connector so I can wire my own to the up fitters and still have the male/female plug?

Interested in hood mounts but can't decide on which brand, just not one specific simply due to aesthetics.

And the question we the consumers want to know.... Why should I buy BD over your competitor(s) ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Baja Designs

Baja Designs

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
What are the differences between the squadron pro and sport vs the XL versions other than price? I see the lumens are the same but why would I buy the XL.

Also, if I buy BD do I have to get the wire harness or do the lights come with both ends of the connector so I can wire my own to the up fitters and still have the male/female plug?

Interested in hood mounts but can't decide on which brand, just not one specific simply due to aesthetics.

And the question we the consumers want to know.... Why should I buy BD over your competitor(s) ?

- The Squadron vs XL is like comparing 4"-6"-8" HID
While the internals are the same (XL Pro vs. Squadron Pro, XL Sport vs. Squadron Sport)
The larger the reflector = the more near field lighting and distance you get. Very similar as to why people buy a 6" or 8" HID over the 4"

-It is not required to purchase a wiring harness to run our lights.
We do provide the Male End of the Weather Pack connector so you can connect it into your own wiring.

-We offer Performance, Unique Styling, Limited Lifetime Warranty, and a product made in the USA.

Here is a comparison of our Squadron Pro vs. The Other Guys light pod
THEIRS_VS_OURS_SQUADRON_PRO_SOCIAL_zpsqesiknt9.jpg

Take a look at our Squadron Pro Product Video on Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hv6QTvOFZ4k

---------- Post added at 09:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:20 AM ----------

I'll give some feedback on the the OnX 8" fog kit.

Pros:
-Awesome beam pattern in wide-cornering. Exactly the pattern I was hoping for; when they are on, I don't feel like I'm driving in a tunnel anymore and can actually see what I'm turning into
-Sturdy construction
-Very nice touch to include the opaque covers; helped me out with my state inspection
-Printed instructions were helpful during install

Cons:
-Passenger side wiring harness was too short, so it looks ghetto crossing diagonally across my radiator. I was too lazy to extend the wires myself.
-There was no two-to-one connector to go from the upfitter power lead to the two power cables for the fogs, as referenced in the instructions. I emailed the vendor but didn't receive a reply so I ended up just cutting the bullets off and connected them via another method
-The bracket doesn't center the light perfectly in the bumper openings, so there isn't as much adjustability as there could be. Quick fix for the self installer is to drill out/slot the whole a little where needed.

All in all, very happy with my purchase and would recommend these lights to anyone. The issues were minor and just given so you can improve the product. These are great quality lights and the lifetime warranty makes them worry-free. I can see some 6" Prerunner HIDs in my future, but gotta save up some $$ first

Thank You for the feedback!
I'll be looking into our product kits in order to help prevent the problems you have had.
I'll be sending you a PM!

Thank You,
Bailey, Baja designs

HAYNES OFFROAD

aka Wreckless
Reaction score

-We offer Performance, Unique Styling, Limited Lifetime Warranty, and a product made in the USA.

I hope Baja Designs does not mind me posting up, but besides the above mentioned by Bailey, a big selling feature IMO of Baja designs is also the "U-service" setup. Being able to swap optics (if you want to change beam patterns), and swap/replace lenses (replacement or color change), without having to send in to the factory is a huge plus.

OP
OP
Baja Designs

Baja Designs

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I hope Baja Designs does not mind me posting up, but besides the above mentioned by Bailey, a big selling feature IMO of Baja designs is also the "U-service" setup. Being able to swap optics (if you want to change beam patterns), and swap/replace lenses (replacement or color change), without having to send in to the factory is a huge plus.

Thank You for posting up!
As stated above me, Our U-Service Technology allows the user to change lens and optics in only a few minutes. This allows the customer to fine tune their light setup.
Whether its Amber, Clear, Driving/Combo, Wide Cornering, Spot, Flood. Best part: the Lifetime Warranty isn't affected by these changes!

"You wouldn't throw out your car if your windshield cracks, would you?
No, you'd just replace the windshield. So why would anyone design a disposable LED driving light? That’s crazy!"
– Alan Roach, Baja Designs Engineer, Founder and Racer.

CP RAPTOR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I chose to try out the squadron pro spots for my hood mounts. Several things swayed me toward DB.

The availability to change optics, lenses, lumens, performance of lights, warranty, some condensation tests seen and looks.

I called Bailey who was awesome and gave me a great deal for being an FRF member. I am a first time buyer for BD and was very pleased with my interaction.

The lights were shipped the same day of purchase, I ordered a pair of squadron pro spot with clear lenses, I expect I will be getting some amber lenses within the next few months as the fog season starts. I also ordered the raptor up fitter harness and the splitter harness to clean up the install from the switch to two lights.

I have not mounted these yet, I expect to get this done within the next 2 weeks. I did light them up from my car briefly tonight and these things are bright! They lit the entire street right to the end and the light color is awesome, it doesn't have the blue tint that most have.

However, I opened the splitter harness and this appears to be way too short to split the two lights. I have not tried mounting or measuring as I am away from my truck but I would guess when split, the harness is maybe three feet apart. I suspect I will not be able to use this piece due to the length or lack of but I will confirm or deny when the time to mount them comes. at this time I just don't know without the truck.

The lights did come with their own complete light harness including a relay, fuse and a good length of wiring but being on a raptor this will not be used. Hopefully I can use part of this if needed to extend the splitter harness.

Over all I am happy with my decision. The pods are a nice gloss finish, the mounting hardware is quite gurthy and it all looks fantastic. The pods are smaller than they appear in pictures, very close or the same as any name brand pod with 4 or 6 LEDs.

I am very anxious to get these mounted, wired and aimed to give them a try. I will add my final opinion once mounted and played with for a few days.

OP
OP
Baja Designs

Baja Designs

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Purchased a set of squadron pro spots with raptor harness and splitter harness. Through some PM's with Bailey I finally called and pulled the trigger. Bailey was very patient and offered a great price for being an FRF member.

Items were shipped same day and got here quickly. I am very pleased with my decision. The product has a fantastic warranty, output, build quality and not the cookie cutter pods.

This was my first BD product but won't be my last. I'm very impress with customer service and quality.

Copied over from:
http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f66/baja-designs-excellent-41591/

Thank You for the awesome feedback!
Don't hesitate to send me a message or call regarding any of your lighting needs!

Post up some pictures when you get a chance

Thanks,
Bailey, Baja Designs

CP RAPTOR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I finally got home and couldn't wait to mount my hood lights so while I was supposed to be spending time with my wife after being away for nearly three weeks I decided to do this job that "should only take an hour" but that's another story.

I mounted my squadron pro spots with clear lenses on my hood mounts. First thing you notice is how much they grab your attention but look like they should be there. They have a fastback type design that fits the truck nicely at the A pillar and don't block your vision like some of the bigger ones do.

They are wicked bright and get light down range very well. They are a different color, they don't have that blueish white tinge that other led lights seem to have they are more of a natural light.

I haven't fully adjusted them yet as it was pouring rain and where I would normally aim them had a 40 foot snow bank in the way so for now I had to wing it on the house from the garage.

I will be getting some output shots if the weather ever does clear up but things I noticed last night in the rain was they do not glare off the hood of the truck, as the beam gets further away the spot beams become a great compromise with spreading to a beam large enough that I can't tell where one stops and the other starts.

I will be picking up some Amber lenses for these as we have terrible fog where people have stopped on the roads because they can't find it. I'm anxious to see how these will cut through with a combo pattern.

Now for the wiring. To raptor owners I suggest skipping the raptor upfitter wire and two light harness if you're going with ghod mounted pods. For anything on the bumper both of these are great ideas!

The upfitter wire was quite long and ended up being coiled by the battery. I did this because the splitter harness was way way too short to cross the truck, like not even half way. So what I did was made the splitter harness in to a much longer one by using the supplied harness which had a fairly long lead on it to keep the connectors.

I made a new raptor harness with the supplied three that I got but if I were to do it again I would have just used my own wire and cut to length rather than spend the money on the two pieces.

BD does include both ends of the plugs so if you were going to make your own you will just have to cut the male ends off the supplied wiring harness.

If you're going with a light bar anywhere else on the truck I still highly suggest the raptor upfitter piece for a clean easy install.

Some pics to follow. Night shots are coming just weather dependant so..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 309
Last edited: