Baja Designs: ClearView TM Lessons in Lighting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Baja Designs

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

Baja Designs Mad Scientist brings the Lab to Las Vegas to explain the science behind properly mounting and aiming lights in ClearView™ Lessons in Lighting.

Scientists of Lighting Alan Roach and Tex Mitchell partner with Ricky Johnson and Menzies Motorsports to eliminate the guesswork of lighting set ups. Baja Designs’ 5 unique Lighting Zones explain where each pattern should be used and placed. Even if you don’t run Baja Designs lights, this video will help you get the most out of your lighting.

clearview_zones.jpg

Baja Designs unique ClearView™ Multi-Form Optics have the ability to create mid-field, near-field, distance, and cornering light. Each of these Lighting Zones require a different lighting pattern to achieve the smooth spread of illumination desired when driving or riding at night.

“We are privileged to work with many different race teams to develop their lighting packages. Combining our racing experience with the experience of the teams, we develop the patterns and find out exactly what their lighting needs are. They tell us what they want and we engineer a solution to it. It’s all about developing the correct optical patterns to distribute the light where you need it.” – Owner, Engineer, Racer and Mad Scientist Alan Roach.

WRCRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This is a great video, very helpful! The next thing you could do is give some suggestions for Raptor specific mounting locations.

For example trucks with stock bumpers like mine I don't like the outside location option from another manufacturer because of the poor quality of the beam and lumens. I have a very nice high powered 21" bar (zone 3) in the center grill opening that I like but need a good zone 1-2 option. I have HID cowl mounted zone 4-5 lights also that work well.

Could you give us some feedback on light color amber vs. yellow vs white for different conditions like dust, snow and fog.

pat'sRAPTOR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That is an amazing video!! Definitely a step above oter lighting companies making a video explaining which lights go where and how to get te different zones! This will definitely come in handy when installing more lights!

OP
OP
Baja Designs

Baja Designs

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
447550-04.jpg

Thanks for your input, the Scientists of Lighting are always here to help!! The best option for your Ford Raptor would be the Baja Designs Ford Raptor Fog Pocket Kit with 2 Wide Cornering Squadrons and 2 Amber Driving Squadrons
The Ford Raptor Fog Pocket Kit is 100% plug and play. The best way to complement your current light bar which covers zone 3, would be the use of 2 Wide Cornering Squadron to accomplish zone 2 lighting, and the use of 2 Amber Wide Cornering or Driving Squadrons for zone 1 lighting. Check our Squadron Data Chart to see what zones of lighting the different Squadrons can access: Squadron Data Sheet . And with uService Technology you are able to change lenses and optics to your preference, all the zones of lighting are accessible by uService. Here is the link to our uService informational page: uService
uservice06EE72B7F8A3.jpg

The use of amber lights for fog, dust, and snow is recommended for enhanced visibility. Our Squadrons are available with amber lens for all patterns, perfect for zone 1. Hope this information helps, thanks for the great feedback! The Scientists of Lighting are here to answer anymore questions you have. - Christian

WRCRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks very much for the feedback. I am interested in the Squadrons for the bumper holes and will look into the kit

After looking at the site is the price listed on the squadron lights a price per light or per set of 2?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Baja Designs

Baja Designs

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks very much for the feedback. I am interested in the Squadrons for the bumper holes and will look into the kit

After looking at the site is the price listed on the squadron lights a price per light or per set of 2?

The Squadron are priced individually at $299.95, and to help your wallet out we do offer a forum discount. The Baja Designs Ford Pocket Kit is also compatible with 2 of Onx 1 Cell Light Bar. The Onx set up in your fog pockets would be the cheaper option but still a very quality setup. Let me know if you have any more questions or concerns. The Scientists of Lighting are always here to help.- Christian

BAJASVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The Baja Designs Ford Pocket Kit is also compatible with 2 of Onx 1 Cell Light Bar. The Onx set up in your fog pockets would be the cheaper option but still a very quality setup. Let me know if you have any more questions or concerns. The Scientists of Lighting are always here to help.- Christian

447550-06.jpg

447550-02.jpg

It appears that the pair of Squadrons on this bracket are laterally aimable individually, but the single 8" OnX is not because of the way it attaches to the mounting bracket. Is this true? From the pictures, it seems that these single 8" OnX lights would shine out quite far to the sides... maybe even too far, leaving a void between their light and the light from a center light bar unless the center light produced a wide pattern itself.

Do you have a photo of the light output from these 8" OnX lights in the Raptor "fog light" pockets?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Baja Designs

Baja Designs

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
447550-06.jpg

447550-02.jpg

It appears that the pair of Squadrons on this bracket are laterally aimable individually, but the single 8" OnX is not because of the way it attaches to the mounting bracket. Is this true? From the pictures, it seems that these single 8" OnX lights would shine out quite far to the sides... maybe even too far, leaving a void between their light and the light from a center light bar unless the center light produced a wide pattern itself.

Do you have a photo of the light output from these 8" OnX lights in the Raptor "fog light" pockets?

Unfortunately I do not have any photos of the light patterns on truck and the Onx bars are only adjustable as to how high or low you want your beam at. But the
Ford Raptor Fog Pocket Kit is really meant to cover zone 2 Cornering. The wide cornering Onx Bars are perfect for that covering zone 2 lighting. Depending on the pattern of your current bar, there should not be any gap between the bar and 2 wide cornering Onx 1 cell Light Bars. I will try and find pictures of the Onx bars on truck for you. Hope that helps- Christian