Available amperage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sneevly

Reaction score
Hello, first time poster here. This may be a little off topic but I figured the lighting discussion with use of the aux switches would be the best place.

I plan on installing two 12v air compressors in the bed underneath my saddle tool box.

Max amp draw is rated at 21 amps. I plan on using switches 1 and 2 for this since each has a 30amp rating if I remember correctly.

My question is how much amperage can I draw from the battery and charging system without causing any harm? Obviously I'll have the truck running during use, but I will be drawing 42 amps while both compressors are running. I have the 6.2L engine 2014 model. Here is some information that is close to what I need, but I'm not sure what the truck normally uses at idle with the lights and fan on.

And no, I'm not installing a train horn.:specialed:

t_j

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Doesn’t matter too much, extra current will be drawn from the battery if the alternator can’t provide it all. However to be safe you should probably makes sure you have a agm or deep cycle battery installed. Lots of people run winches that draw 200-300 amp when running without issue.

14 BlackScrew RR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sneevly, if your truck is equip with heated seats and heated mirrors, you can rest assured that the Alternator is capable of handling and extra 21 amps for the compressor.

OP
OP
S

Sneevly

Reaction score
Doesn’t matter too much, extra current will be drawn from the battery if the alternator can’t provide it all. However to be safe you should probably makes sure you have a agm or deep cycle battery installed. Lots of people run winches that draw 200-300 amp when running without issue.

Its funny because my jeep has a ***** and I never considered how much amps it was drawing, even after hooking up those large gauge wires. 42 amps should be just fine, thank you for pointing this out.