Auxiliary Lighting (Grounding?) Issue...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RaptorScrew

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ok, here's my information for setup purposes:

Front of truck I have the following:

1. @Raptor Retrofit HIDs with C-Clamp and Evil Eyes
2. 40" Rigid E-Series Combo (Outside 8" are amber and center is White) - White/Amber on separate Switches (See Below)
3. Cutouts: White Spots and Amber Floods (See Below)

This picture is at normal working condition - Currently the 40" is at 20% power and flickers and the Duallies are at 20% power and steady....
11653-a.jpg

4. Rears: Amber Floods and White Spots on light Rack along with HIDS
11655-a.jpg

Amber Floods in rear bumper

All lights were installed and wired up with the help of @Kmandoske except for Dawson's HID setup.

A week ago I noticed that while my Amber C-Clamps were lit, they were VERY dull and not at full power. Dawson recommended checking my ground...

I turned on my "Evil Eyes" and they are at FULL brightness. They are grounded together with the C-Clamps. (First thought is C-Clamp issues...)

On the way home tonight I was heading up the hill by the house and threw on my White 40" Rigid and ... NADA... Threw on my Amber Combo 40" and nada... Threw on my front duallies - both white and amber and ... you guessed it... nada.

Got home and turned everything on... This is what I found...

40" Rigid - the lights flicker (both amber and white) and they are very dim
Both sets of Rigid Duallies (Cut-outs) light steady but are (again) dim like the 40"

C-Clamps are dim but lit while the Evil Eye's are full strength and fine.

My HID's are perfect and no issues...

So boys and girls; what's the common denominator and how do I fix it?

All rears are full strength and working as should...

I have not checked the HIDS but have no reason to believe they are having an issue as they are wired to the rear sets as well...

What's throwing me off is the grounding part. Why are my headlight HIDs and Evil Eyes and my rear bumper flush mount ambers working properly? If it was a total grounding issue, wouldn't those be affected as well?

Yet both combos in the 40", both pairs of Duallies AND my C-Clamps are functional yet 20% power...

And...... Go........

Last edited:

t_j

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Check the c-clam splices into the ground connection and any crimps you have, if you had water ingress they could have corroded. Use pins and a multimeter to check connectivity between joints. Push a pin through the cable on each side of the joint and use the meter to check the resistance between the pins, if higher than a couple of ohms re-do the joint. Seal the pin holes with some liquid electrical tape fluid stuff.