Aux Switch problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Spencer4336

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I have a 40" light bar behind my grille (wired to the number 1 switch) and a 20" light bar in my bumper (wired to the number 4 switch)

I took the truck to the body shop after my accident and when they started pulling everything apart I had the lights wired with quick connects so if I ever had to take them off it would be easy to plug them back in.

They disconnected everything and once the truck was done they plugged it all back in. What I didn't notice was that they revered the plugs so I had my 40" light bar wired to the smallest amp switch (number 4) and I noticed it after a couple times of using it that it was on the wrong switch.

Now I'm trying to wire something else to the number 4 switch as I've taken the 20" light bar off. And it won't work. I get no power to it. Could it be a blown fuse? I looked at the fuse and it looked ok so I'm just out of ideas what the problem could be.

Thank you for the help in advanced

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
True
I'll take a look around
How would I test the fuse and relay

I am very new to wiring :/

turn the switch on and with a test light or meter touch the top of the fuse. on each fuse should be 2 small holes. one on each side of the fuse. if they both have power than you are good. if one side has power and the other does not, then the fuse is bad. if they both have no power then its somewhere else. the relay is a bit tricky to test, but a simple way to check is to turn the key on (dont start) and flip the aux switch in question. have someone else standing by the fuse/relay box for the aux switches and have them listen for a clicking noinse everytime the swicth is triggered

OP
OP
Spencer4336

Spencer4336

Full Access Member
Reaction score
turn the switch on and with a test light or meter touch the top of the fuse. on each fuse should be 2 small holes. one on each side of the fuse. if they both have power than you are good. if one side has power and the other does not, then the fuse is bad. if they both have no power then its somewhere else. the relay is a bit tricky to test, but a simple way to check is to turn the key on (dont start) and flip the aux switch in question. have someone else standing by the fuse/relay box for the aux switches and have them listen for a clicking noinse everytime the swicth is triggered

Awesome I'll try it out

Thank you!

fjcoop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome I'll try it out

Thank you!

Just change the fuse with a new one... cheap. I had a similar issuer so i cased the problem back to the fuse but on inspection the fuse looked good so i kept at it. After an hour i had to tell myself "it has to be the fuse" so i pulled it and took another look. It looked fine but this time i replaced it with a new one anyway. Magic. That dang fuse cost me an hour of unnecessarly chasing a problem.

OP
OP
Spencer4336

Spencer4336

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just change the fuse with a new one... cheap. I had a similar issuer so i cased the problem back to the fuse but on inspection the fuse looked good so i kept at it. After an hour i had to tell myself "it has to be the fuse" so i pulled it and took another look. It looked fine but this time i replaced it with a new one anyway. Magic. That dang fuse cost me an hour of unnecessarly chasing a problem.

Where'd you get another fuse?

fjcoop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If i recall the fuse for the aux switches are under the hood as wells the relays.. I don't recall where i punched them from or if i just had them already. I think the one i purchased from auto zone were the right width but were to tall and i may have gotten them from the dealer.