Ambient Lighting Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LittlEvil

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good morning and happy monday guys! Was hoping y'all could help me out with something I have been searching for. Im looking to wire in ambient LED lighting. 2 LEDs for the back seats and 2 in the footwells. I want to wire them to the passenger kick box/junction box. I want all the lights to come on with the ambient lighting (i.e.. 4WD switch, radio buttons, 12v nob all coming on with the headlights). What I'm looking for is the wire to tap into (what color/color stripe), what connector with how many prongs. This is so I have an exact location, sorry I didn't provide a picture. I have a 2010 and as Im to understand it the 2010 wiring differs from the 2011 and so on.

Everything I have found is for wiring to the dome light. I have searched countless threads, websites, google pics and installation instructions and people have asked but no answers. Ive also seen people doing what I'm doing now and starting this new thread in hopping someone knows, but none of them have replies. Maybe my search function isn't working properly or maybe the problem is between the keyboard and the chair. I would really appreciate the help and a big THANKS in advance.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
use the parking light wire. its in the pkp. grey plug with pink tape (i think) purple/white. it should have power when the parking lights are on.

OP
OP
LittlEvil

LittlEvil

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That wire didn't work for me. I tapped into that one yesterday and when all my ambient lights came on the LEDs I installed did not. Thinking I may have messed up I disconnected them and tested the lights. Here is a pic of an instruction I found to the exact wire. This one did not work.

fordwiring3_zps78226eb9.jpg

OP
OP
LittlEvil

LittlEvil

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are LED strip lights. There are 2 LEDs per unit with a positive and a negative. I believe they are 12v and don't need an inverter. I have a cigaret plug, which i plugged into the 12v on the passenger side of the dash and I wired them to that first to test.

OP
OP
LittlEvil

LittlEvil

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is a pic of the lights in front, purchased from ebay stated 12v. And sorry they are 3 LED not 2.

Here is a pic and link to the lights wired under the seat in the back

http://www.pepboys.com/product/details/400484/00968/accessories/fashion_lighting/led

I set everything in place, ran the wires, soldered all the positives together and all the negatives together. The cigaret plug that I had clipped off, I reconnected it to all the newly soldered wires and used it to test to make sure the lights worked. They did so I spliced them into the parking light purple/white and grounded it to the ground bolt just behind the kick panel. At this time it was dark so all the ambient lights came on but not the LEDs. I unhooked everything and tested the lights again and they works. I have no idea at this point and thought that must have been the wrong wire. Or maybe, but doubt it, that the cigaret plug has a built in inverter to it. But they are 12v LEDs so they should be able to just plug and play right?

OP
OP
LittlEvil

LittlEvil

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ground is right behind the panel, upper right corner. Looks like bradded wire was already grounded there so I just used that spot. And I was very careful to make sure I didn't mix up pos and neg. After it didn't work I disconnected pos first and connected it to pos on the cigaret plug, then disconnected neg just to be sure. It could be possible that that wasn't a ground spot, but it sure looked like it was.

goneFXcrazy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I know a stereo shop told me once that some devices that are designed to run off a cigaret lighter plug will no longer work if you just clip the wires and feed them power. Could there be some kind of device inside that lighter plug that regulates the current?