Am I missing something? Light price rant!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FreightTerrain

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Am I stupid or something? I'm sure some of you will say I am and that's fine. But why do lights, fog, light bars etc cost so freaking much? I just saw a post for a set of 4 fog lights and brackets $751.00. Good lord, I don't get it. What makes these things cost so much? I know some of you will say "You bought a 50K truck and complain about the price of lights". Yea I do, how do you think I could buy my truck, by not spending stupid money on these type of things. Sorry for the rant, just blows my mind. Sorry you can't this 30 seconds of your life back. :emotions33:

im a slow reader. yu owe me 60 seconds

AngryBird

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's an example of what I am talking about:

300W LED Work Light Bar Flood and Spot Combo Offroad 4WD SUV Boat Driving Lamp | eBay

$199 with free shipping for a 50 inch light bar. People have bought these, and done extreme torture testing with good results. Actually, I have hardly read a bad review of these, or heard of someone getting stranded on the trail because of them.

Now here is the name brand light:

Rigid Industries E Series 50" LED Combo Light Bar Clear 150312 | eBay

$1519 for a 50 light. I have little doubt that it is a better light. but come on.

As to your other point, I do agree we can support the local workers and economy. That is legit. everyone will have to consider that and make up their own mind.

By the way, the off brand light was 13% of the name brand lights price. So my estimate of 25% was wrong. :)

Edit: I don't want to come off like Mr. Chinese light guy. I'm just pointing out the facts. But while I am at it, I might just order one of those cheap light bars...

Sick! I'm getting one if these to point backwards above my Retrax! I'll show the cops a light shield lol...

The $200 one not the $1500. Can't be 7 times better can it?

Cleave

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Okay, let's try explaining it a different way, Baja designs, vision x, and rigid build their lights to trophy truck standards, the cheap china lights are built to recreational standards, will both work for most of us on this forum, generally yes, would both work for a trophy truck running the Baja 1000, most probably not. Should Baja designs, vision x, and rigid charge bottom dollar because you might never put your lights through the kind of torture that would destroy the china lights? no, period, their lights are still designed to take the kind of torture that would cause the china lights to fall apart and then their lights would beg for more, so they deserve to ask you to pay for what you get.

If you made the best of the best of a certain good on the market, how would you feel if someone said you have no right to charge more for your product than the company that made the worst iteration of that product on the market because cosmetically your products have no differences?

t_j

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You really have to match up to duty hours and just what they're used for.

Sure, but those of us looking for cheaper alternatives that take their trucks off road a few times a year really going to exceed the designed uses for these lights? (Totron rated life 30,000+hours - ~5 years on 24x7, Rigid 50,000 hours - ~8 years on 24x7).

Rigid cost (pair): $380
Totron cost (pair): $88
Ratios: Rigid:Totron
Cost ratio: 4.3:1
Life ratio: 1.6666:1

As for the lifetime warranty (this is the lifetime of the product not you), their are no details on expected lifetime of the enclosure. How long do the seals last especially the gortex breather?

Lets assume that the Totron warranty is extremely conservative, and that a unit lasts at least 80% of its LED rating (4 years) it is still cheaper for me to buy 2 pairs of Totron than one pair of Rigids.

Do the rigids have on hour counters in them? If not they can start denying your warranty clams after 8 years of ownership as that is the advertised lifetime.

Based on this data what is better for the average consumer? My thought is that most people will get away with the cheaper alternatives.

I dont think you can say that a 18w Totron is comparable to a 36w D2
The D2 has 3030 Lumens and a lifetime guaranty, how about the Totron.
Oh and by the way the optics on the Totron is embarrassingly ugly would not put that on my truck it screams cheap!

Ok so the power output is a little off, it would be great if rigid put all the specs for each product on the product page not just some of them. However it would seem most people are looking for additional driving lights for on road use in this location, not to blind anyone they come across on the road, 72W of additional driving lights should be sufficient for most needs.

As for looks, they reflectors are very similar between the 2, have you seen these products side by side or are you just going by pictures on the internet.

My Chinese 40" has great output and has had zero issues since install.

Not had a chance to really test mine as I installed it today, but from the limited test I did last night the output was superb.

Well aren't you incredibly grown up. For the record: What you are suggesting is that we buy products from inside the country, at what seem to be inflated prices, rather than purchase from the cheapest supplier. This my friend is one of the main characteristics of a communist economy.

Most of us here live in the US, and its economy is driven in a capitalist fashion, which means the person with the best price (comparative product quality must also be included see above) gets the business.

Ni9mm

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Lol...isn't this like the third or fourth thread this discussion has been had in ? I believe this happened last year around the same time but with a different subject.

Everyone else is at TRR having a blast and we sit here and argue about stupid shjt.
y7upezy5.jpg

All these leds were installed by an American made male which means all my connections will never fail.

Macman

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Okay, let's try explaining it a different way, Baja designs, vision x, and rigid build their lights to trophy truck standards, the cheap china lights are built to recreational standards, will both work for most of us on this forum, generally yes, would both work for a trophy truck running the Baja 1000, most probably not. Should Baja designs, vision x, and rigid charge bottom dollar because you might never put your lights through the kind of torture that would destroy the china lights? no, period, their lights are still designed to take the kind of torture that would cause the china lights to fall apart and then their lights would beg for more, so they deserve to ask you to pay for what you get.

If you made the best of the best of a certain good on the market, how would you feel if someone said you have no right to charge more for your product than the company that made the worst iteration of that product on the market because cosmetically your products have no differences?

That explains why some peoples Rigids have been leaking within a couple of weeks. Must be their high quality control and durable design.