54 " Radius install questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ni9mm

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Currently considering a Rds roof mount with either a rigid or add bracket. Can anyone give me some answers on install ? Do you have to drop the headliner ? I don't mind drilling holes I'm just lazy as hell and don't want to have to take the headliner down. I'm also not paying someone else to do it. If that's the only way then I'll just research other lighting options. I was under the impression there was a pinch type mount for the door jam that didn't require headliner removal. Hints , suggestions, tips are all welcome as well as snarky ass comments about using the search feature and then posting links to all answered questions. [emoji4]

Aramco Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was about to install the 54" RDS on my '14 Screw but had to come back to work.

You don't need to drop the headliner.

I have the Rigid roof mount brackets (pn: 40161) but am not crazy about the rivets that hold the entire assembly in place.

Prior to leaving I went to Home Depot and bought a "sert-a-nut" kit and 6 x 1/4-20 low profile hex head bolts, to which I had to add some threads under the head, but the heads are slim enough not to interfere with the closing of the door. I will have to cut the bolts to length also.

It was about $12 and will allow me to bolt the brackets on instead of riveting them...which I think is a better option. It will also allow for easier removal should it be necessary.

I'm sure you will have yours done way before mine...but I plan on posting pics of the full install when I do it.

Good luck.

Attachments

• IMG_0921.jpg
    IMG_0921.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_0923.jpg
    IMG_0923.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
OP
OP
Ni9mm

Ni9mm

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@ReyLorenzo @Aramco Raptor

I found those after I had posted here. Looks pretty simple but I like this sert-a-nut idea. I'm in south Ocala National Forest area.

I have no time frame. I'm still in the research phase.

Achtung667

Reaction score
@Aramco Raptor. I'm about to go a head and buy the rigid mount for a 54" rds. I was wondering if you ever installed your light using the sert-a-nut. If so. Do you have any pictures? How is it holding up so far? Would you do any thing different. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AlternativeOffroad

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
You don't need to drop the headliner, just drill into the door jam and rivet in. The radius brackets work great but you DO need a really good rivet gun and DONT listen to Rigid's instructions when they tell you to drill 1/4" hole, they give you 3/16" rivets so if you do, make sure you get 1/4" rivets

We have an extra 5% off until tonight on lighting if you are interested as well

Aramco Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Aramco Raptor. I'm about to go a head and buy the rigid mount for a 54" rds. I was wondering if you ever installed your light using the sert-a-nut. If so. Do you have any pictures? How is it holding up so far? Would you do any thing different. Thanks!

Sorry...did the install on a rainy day so no pics...however...

I initially intended on using the sert a nuts but once you drill through the pillar...it is not "deep" enough to accommodate the aluminum crush sleeve.

I ended up putting one sert a nut on each mount (in the middle) and drilling a couple of extra holes for the supplied size rivets.

No issues so far. The weakest link in the whole assembly is the sheet metal of the A-pillar itself.

Good luck.

Achtung667

Reaction score
54 " Radius install questions

Thanks for the reply! So essentially you just added a couple more rivets instead of the 3 ?

*edit: So the tell you to drill 1/4". But only supply 3/16? So I would need to go out and get actual 1/4" rivets? Thanks guys

Last edited:

Aramco Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply! So essentially you just added a couple more rivets instead of the 3 ?

*edit: So the tell you to drill 1/4". But only supply 3/16? So I would need to go out and get actual 1/4" rivets? Thanks guys

Essentially...yes. I now have a total of 5 on each side (the two middle ones are sert a nuts...but pretty much the same thing).

Can't remember the sizes off hand...1/4" sounds right.