40" light bar behind grille?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BOBONTUESDAY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi, just wondering if I need anything special to mount a 40" Rigid bar behind the grille? I searched online and saw some mounting brackets but not sure I even need those. I have some L brackets that came with it and I assume I can just use those?

2013-ford-f-150-raptor-led-lighbars-install-04.jpg

TIA

I used the rigid brackets for my top bar and fabbed up one for my bottom bar.

Ironhorse07

FRF Addict
Reaction score
However, with the mount kit from Rigid you get the brackets and the wire harness (no relay and switch) SKU #40236. Just went through this, dropped the 40 bucks, 30 minute install, done.

OP
OP
d.p

d.p

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mine was JUST the brackets - like the link you posted from PolyPerformance.

You don't NEED the harness at all, though you can use it (Aux switches are awesome). Personal preference. I didn't use it there, but did for my light cannons.

Ironhorse07

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yes, that is the same SKU, I got mine from direct from Rigid. I picked up a used 40" bar and needed the brackets. I called Rigid and that is the SKU that they gave me. Kit is the two brackets and the wire harness, no bolts, use the existing hardware.

Mariner

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I bought the Rigid brackets too. Was disappointed when I saw them because I definitely could have made them myself for free :/ but I cut the relay off the wiring harness it came with and used the wires to run up to the Aux firewall wire. Then again I bought the cheap Tuff Stuff light bar off Amazon so I needed the extra wiring [emoji14]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
d.p

d.p

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine was JUST the brackets - like the link you posted from PolyPerformance.

You don't NEED the harness at all, though you can use it (Aux switches are awesome). Personal preference. I didn't use it there, but did for my light cannons.

Wait so I don't need this?

Amazon.com: Rigid Industries 40190 Wiring Harness for 40" to 50" Light Bar: Automotive

I bought a used 40" rigid light bar that had no wiring at all, just the brackets and the harness coming off the light bar.

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Wait so I don't need this?

Amazon.com: Rigid Industries 40190 Wiring Harness for 40" to 50" Light Bar: Automotive

I bought a used 40" rigid light bar that had no wiring at all, just the brackets and the harness coming off the light bar.
No, you don't. You CAN use it if you want, but it's not needed. You can just run the power from your light bar to an Aux output (pick one with the proper amperage for your lightbar), and ground the ground obviously. The Aux switch is already fused.

Now if you're trying to run a buncha crap off of one Aux switch, now we're talking about a relay. Up to you really, but you're fine without it. You'll just need some additional wire to complete the run to your Aux output.

OP
OP
d.p

d.p

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I still need someway to connect to the light itself? I mean its got a harness hanging off it and unless I cut that I need the matching end right?

If I just bought wire what gauge would I need?

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I still need someway to connect to the light itself? I mean its got a harness hanging off it and unless I cut that I need the matching end right?

If I just bought wire what gauge would I need?

Either track down that specific connector or just cut it off and put on whatever you like. I'm not sure on the exact gauge, just match the lightbar wire or go one larger. It's going to be a pretty basic wire, even a 40' doesn't draw that much.