40" behind grill vs. 20" in lower grill

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

str8fast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 40" bar behind my grill it does decent compared to stock halogens [emoji23] but I paid 100 bucks shipped for the thing so I don't really care it helps in the dunes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Ramathorn178

Ramathorn178

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess this is why i ask questions and search (still don't quite get the price per lumen thing).

str8fast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What they are saying is a good 20" in the bumper is more bang for the buck than a good 40" behind the grill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
lumens are only a measurement of light output, not useable light. you can have the brightest led chip for your light, but without proper optics its not going to work well. lumens is just a way of marketing to me. im more worried about the optics and how well they control the light coming from the led.

HAYNES OFFROAD

aka Wreckless
Reaction score
lumens are only a measurement of light output, not useable light. you can have the brightest led chip for your light, but without proper optics its not going to work well. lumens is just a way of marketing to me. im more worried about the optics and how well they control the light coming from the led.

Agreed, but it is a useful measurement when comparing similar lights.

Lumens are essentially how much "raw power" a light has, but that is nothing if the optics do not control that power. Think of a high hp car, with economy tires.... Hahaha:ROFLJest:

ossachuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey guys, I was looking into getting a 20" now that ive heard its better than a 40" behind the grill. What would you say the best bar is for 20". Ive heard alot about the 20" Vision X Xmitter prime Xtreme and the BD onyx. Anyone have any others that are decent? What bar would you say is better? The onyx or Vision?

HAYNES OFFROAD

aka Wreckless
Reaction score
hey guys, I was looking into getting a 20" now that ive heard its better than a 40" behind the grill. What would you say the best bar is for 20". Ive heard alot about the 20" Vision X Xmitter prime Xtreme and the BD onyx. Anyone have any others that are decent? What bar would you say is better? The onyx or Vision?

They are both extremely high end lights. Both have they're advantages. In this case, for the lower bumper grill opening, I would recommend the VisionX Xmitter Prime Xtreme as it has colossal amounts of light output and will give the most coverage in that spot.

As low as that mounting spot is, you cannot truly take advantage of the optics the BD Onx6 has. The bigger the optic (lens), the more refined (controlled) of a beam you will have and thus longer reach. The BD will out shine the VisionX unit at extreme distances, but the Vision X will give you the most useable light for that spot.

Give me a shout I've got both Vision X and Baja Designs in stock.

-Joseph Haynes

Raw Horsepower

Full Access Member
Reaction score
40" behind grill vs. 20" in lower grill

I dont quite understand the price per lumen. Take for example KC c3 fog kit 4300 total and its $322, so would that be 4300/ $322 = $13 per lumen then just for arguement sake take an ebay/ amazon/ chinese knock off kit thats "rated at" 4300/ $160 = $26 per lumen. Now more than likely the knockoff kit is going to be waaaaay hyped on numbers but, that math works out that the legit KC's are cheaper per lumen just because the price is more expensive or did i misread it?

Kinda the boat im in.

Your math is backwards
$160/4300 = $ .037 ( 3.7 cents) per lumen
$322/4300 = $ .075 ( 7.5 cents) per lumen
If it was $13 per lumen X 4300 = $55,900 light bar.
The Chinese bars look very bright up close but their distance is horrible.