3rd Brake Light Pin out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ASars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does any one happen to know the pin out on the connector for the 3 LEDs on the 3rd brake light I know there should be ground, Brake, Running light can any one tell me which one is which on the lamp it's self. I have a lamp but no harness and thinking about hard wiering it since apparently ford and all the parts supplies won't sell the harness with out buying the entire lamp.
Unfortunately colors wont help as I have no harness and will be creating my own.

t_j

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Does any one happen to know the pin out on the connector for the 3 LEDs on the 3rd brake light I know there should be ground, Brake, Running light can any one tell me which one is which on the lamp it's self. I have a lamp but no harness and thinking about hard wiering it since apparently ford and all the parts supplies won't sell the harness with out buying the entire lamp.
Unfortunately colors wont help as I have no harness and will be creating my own.

Break out your multimeter in resistance test mode, the center should be ground, go from ground to each of the other 2 pins, the pin with the higher resistance is the DRL lower resistance is brake.

OP
OP
A

ASars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Break out your multimeter in resistance test mode, the center should be ground, go from ground to each of the other 2 pins, the pin with the higher resistance is the DRL lower resistance is brake.
Ok thanks for the info didn't think about the resistance factor figuring out which was ground was my biggerst concern

Fyrman702

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been working on a third brake light project. Im testing it right now. Removed the circuit board and trying some other types of leds. I will post my results when finished. I did figure out the wiring on my 2013.

The white pin is ground (-)
The red pin is brake (+)
The blk with white stripe is running (+)
The solid blk is cargo (+)

OP
OP
A

ASars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been working on a third brake light project. Im testing it right now. Removed the circuit board and trying some other types of leds. I will post my results when finished. I did figure out the wiring on my 2013.

The red pin is brake (+)

Awsome thanks for the info that exactly what I needed have a split standard F-150 harness coming in today (ford lost it as the SVT Raptor harness but as with the last 2 I ordered when it arrives it's always the 3 bulb one not 2 bulb one connector Raptor one so in going to cut the 3rd build connector off and solder it right to the pins on the lamp I'll post up some pics and pin out when I test it all out.

t_j

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You should test this, the wire colours often change between model years, @fryman702 maybe you can post the pin positions for those as those change less often.

OP
OP
A

ASars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well got out the multimeter during my lunch break and now I'm stumped I get a measurement of resistance between the center pin and the right pin but nothing from the left pin I've tried every possible combination but absolutely no reeding thru the left pin I even tried a second multimeter to be sure my meter wasn't messed up.may just hook up some power and test it that way

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

ASars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok I figured out the pins with the light mounted on the truck passenger side is ground, middle is brake light, and driver side is running lights. Just installed working great

Last edited:

Raptor601

Reaction score

The red pin is brake (+)
Did you make any progress on this? I too am thinking about handwiring my circuit board in my OEM 3rd brake light. I really wanna keep this on my truck and can't stomach paying 300+ for a new one.

BAD454SS

Banned
Reaction score
luckily a year ago i was watching a few at $100 or so bucks on ebay, then i saw the price jump. I went to amazon right away and found one for $105 ,and bought it right away . Just put it on a few weeks ago my orginal had turned yellow . After 7 years.