3rd brake light on canopy, flashes with blinker. WTF???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mstennes

Reaction score
Ok, I put a Leer canopy on my 2013, and I wired up as normal and the. Rake light works as it should, so does the interior light, the moment I hit the left turn signal it start flashing with the turn signal, so I've unhooked it for now as to save myself embarrassment. The canopy is equipped with a rear led 3rd brake light, hopefully I won't get flamed to bad for missing the obvious?
Thanks in advance

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There's a dedicated brake wire and there is a turn/brake wire. Make sure you connect it to the dedicated brake light. It's been a while since I wired mine, but use a test light and insure your ground is good.

Raptoe13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, i had the same problem when I wired mine up. Gotta find the wire under the hood and run it to the back.

Nv Guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My memory is fuzzy, but I am thinking If you have a trailer plug, it might have a brake wire taped to the harness just behind the plug. Might be worth a poke around.

OP
OP
M

mstennes

Reaction score
Thank you guys! I bought this canopy used in excellent shape even the right color, but when I wired it like I did on my older Super Duty back in 2000, it worked fine, not anyamore, guess a few things changed in 13 years. I did not even think of a dedicated wire let alone up under the hood. I was thinking I was going to have to put in some resistor but wasn't sure how it would work with one line doing two functions. I'm going to check the trailer plug harness first, that way if it is there I won't have to run another wire from the front to the rear, I've already ran enough for lights and other power needs.
Thanks again!!

Last edited: