30" KC HiLiTES LED upper grille install (no brackets)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
BIRDMAN

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
I can't find dimensions, it's an off brand light (or knock-off).. I'm thinking it's possibly the same size. I'll know for sure in a few days. :)

It probably is the same length. Some manufacturers refer to a 30" (60 LED) as a 32" because that's the length of the light its self. The KC is about 32" wide also.

infinitereality

SLC IR/8
Reaction score
You were correct bird, this knockoff is same length as your KC. Your write-up worked great for the install! Only difference I noticed is the knockoff I have is the mounting holes definitely aren't M8's, they're smaller and the hole wasn't as deep. I ended up using the allenhead bolts that came with mine and stacking a few washers to mount along with the star washers. I'll get some new correct length bolts in a couple days. Also the knockoff didn't come with a harness, which wasn't a huge deal. I just grounded it to the hood latch (light is only on when hood is closed) and ran a power wire and connected it to the #2 switch which my 40" Rigid bar was wired too. Current draw on both lights together 24.7A so I was good.

I had my engine bay light which I had to relocate and is now hidden behind the middle grill bar, had just enough slack in my wiring to move it there. :)

I'll start a thread in a couple days on a review of these China knockoff lights since I now have 3x2 LED 4" cubes, another set of cubes on way and now this 30" bar. For the price of $160 shipped for the 30" and $66 shipped for each pair of cubes, price is awesome and quality is quite good. Amazing part is I ordered on a weekend, drop shipped from China on Monday and was at my door Wednesday.

20130904_190206.jpg

OP
OP
BIRDMAN

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
You were correct bird, this knockoff is same length as your KC. Your write-up worked great for the install! Only difference I noticed is the knockoff I have is the mounting holes definitely aren't M8's, they're smaller and the hole wasn't as deep. I ended up using the allenhead bolts that came with mine and stacking a few washers to mount along with the star washers. I'll get some new correct length bolts in a couple days. Also the knockoff didn't come with a harness, which wasn't a huge deal. I just grounded it to the hood latch (light is only on when hood is closed) and ran a power wire and connected it to the #2 switch which my 40" Rigid bar was wired too. Current draw on both lights together 24.7A so I was good.

I had my engine bay light which I had to relocate and is now hidden behind the middle grill bar, had just enough slack in my wiring to move it there. :)

I'll start a thread in a couple days on a review of these China knockoff lights since I now have 3x2 LED 4" cubes, another set of cubes on way and now this 30" bar. For the price of $160 shipped for the 30" and $66 shipped for each pair of cubes, price is awesome and quality is quite good. Amazing part is I ordered on a weekend, drop shipped from China on Monday and was at my door Wednesday.

20130904_190206.jpg

Awesome, I'm glad my write up helped. I would definitely replace the bolts sooner than later. You need the flange head bolt to create a larger surface for the locking washers to sit against. I tried the method you described and the Alan head still rotated on its own regardless of how many washers or locking washers I used. If the Alan head bolt rotates then the whole light will. I'm sure you know all of this but I just wanted to reaffirm that the flange head bolt is 100% necessary. I believe yours will end up being an M6, but take one in to the hardware store to make sure and match the thread pitch.

infinitereality

SLC IR/8
Reaction score
I have the mounting bolts for the bracket it came with so I'll bring it. I bet your right it being an M6.

I used the washers that it came with along with the M8 flat washers with the star washers in between that I picked up prior to install. Just to fill some space even put a locking washer between 2 smaller washers that came with the light. Lock-tite as well like you suggested. It didn't rotate on way to work today, thank goodness, but I'm going on 4hr road trip tomorrow morning so I'll be watching it REALLY CLOSELY!

Archon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the mounting bolts for the bracket it came with so I'll bring it. I bet your right it being an M6.

I used the washers that it came with along with the M8 flat washers with the star washers in between that I picked up prior to install. Just to fill some space even put a locking washer between 2 smaller washers that came with the light. Lock-tite as well like you suggested. It didn't rotate on way to work today, thank goodness, but I'm going on 4hr road trip tomorrow morning so I'll be watching it REALLY CLOSELY!

How are the lights holding up? What make and where did you get them for that price???

infinitereality

SLC IR/8
Reaction score
I got them from an ebay vendor, PM me and I'll send you his contact info. Only installed for a week but holding up good and still work at least!