Stage 3 Now Offering Limited Powertrain Warranties for 5-Star's Custom Tuning!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

siooss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Who makes the determination

I like this concept of risk management. In my opinion, and based on my interpretation of the Stage3 warranty, I see this as a potential do-loop of disagreement, on who is qualified to make the authoritative determination it was a defect in the 5-Star software that directly damaged the powertrain.

Here is the opening paragraph of the Stage3 warranty:

"Subject to the terms, conditions, exclusions and limitations set forth herein, Stage 3 Motorsports, Inc. (hereafter "Company", "We", or "Our"), warrants to the purchaser (hereafter, "You", "Your", or "Owner") against defects in the Custom PCM/ECU Tuning Software provided by 5-Star Tuning, Inc. that directly causes damage to the powertrain of the registered vehicle (hereafter, "Vehicle") when properly used and maintained."

It does not cover, if somehow, the 5-Star tuning software/file gets corrupted by the firmware/software on the Stage3 tuner device; or from upgrading the firmware. So, one could argue the 5-Star software was defect free, until it was corrupted by the Stage3 firmware/software, or upgrade, so damage not covered by this warranty as stated above.

Here is one scenario I can see happening; Raptor owner buys Stage3 tuner and 5-Star software tune, does all the right things, appropriate use, and the powertrain fails. The dealership inspects powertrain damage and says it was the 5-Star tune that directly caused the damage and provides their reason/evidence.

[Here is another catch, what if there was no defect in the 5-Star software? Which means a defect free 5-Star tune directly caused the damage, so the way this warranty is worded, you are not covered.]

The Raptor owner says fine, I'm covered by Stage3/5-Star warranty, contacts Stage3, follows all the claim procedures, provides verifiable proof Raptor maintained properly, etc.. Then, Stage3 and 5-Star examine all the information, etc. and they say No, we disagree, the powertrain damage was not directly caused by a defect in the 5-Star software, for their own set of reasons/proof.

The Raptor owner now enters into a potential do-loop of finger pointing between the dealership and Stage3 of, "not our software, yes it was, no it wasn't, yes it was,,,," because, how exactly do you prove it was a 5-Star software defect that directly damaged the powertrain?

Anybody know the answer?

Since there is no defined authoritative source/answer on how to prove what really caused powertrain damage, the Raptor owner is stuck with dealership who won't do the repairs under warranty and Stage3 who won't do warranty work because they claim it wasn't a defect in the 5-Star software tune.

I'm probably missing something in the fine print and in my line of thinking, but I do know, in business dealings, if the contract is flawed, the warranty purchaser is left paying the price.

Lots of good questions on this thread, hope Stage3 takes heed and updates their warranty based on the questions being asked, in the end, I think they will have better warranty.

OP
OP
5star

5star

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
We're glad you spent the time to pour through the warranty paperwork. However, you are slightly misinterpreting a few things:

1. These tunes are coming on SCT tuning devices. If there was a firmware/software issue on the device itself, either the tune would fail to load at all or the truck wouldn't start and run due to corrupted tune files/whatever error occurs on the device.

2. When "defects" are mentioned in regards to tuning, it essentially means tuning that damages your truck or is deemed to have caused damage based on the dealership's determination. It's not in reference to some random software flub.

3. This is basically how it'll work if there is a potential warranty conflict: Something breaks on your truck. You take it to the dealer (or have it towed, if it's that serious). The dealership looks over your Raptor and makes a determination. If they warranty it under your factory powertrain warranty due to a build error (or whatever else), then great! If they refuse to fix your issues because of either the tuning and/or your mix of bolt-ons, they Stage 3 will step in with their warranty.

Basically, you're looking at too narrowly. The warranty will cover damages and Stage 3 will deal with your dealership if your dealer won't cover your Raptor because it was tuned.

mudblood

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I would just like to "chime" in here. I have used Stage 3 on multiple purchases and each and every time I have been most satisfied. Unfortunately the vendors they use have made shipping errors. One call to Stage 3 and I got what was missing OVERNIGHTED to me the next day at NO expense to me. They have simply outstanding customer service and very competative prices as well. In my opinion they are one of a few of a rare breed vendors that back up the talk with action. Glad to see they have made it to our site!