Buying tunes separately?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ZBoater

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It seems that buying the tuner bundled with tunes is the best deal. There's someone selling a Livewire TS unopened for $430, which is the one I want to get, but buying it from 5 Star comes with six tunes. I probably only want/need a couple of tunes. What is a better deal?

TurboEd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But if you buy tunes separately... there are many flavors :favorites25:

What tunes do you get? THAT is the question :005:

---------- Post added at 05:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:39 PM ----------

Considering that the device itself includes a tune or several, what does 5-Star offer that is significantly different to warrant choosing it? Hahah.

I believe that the most tunes alone you could get bundled is three for $200 but you could get up to 5 tunes if you buy the device from them :)

I have the X4 so will get me three flavors in 87economy 87perf and 93perf see how these play with me :)

Check this out too Free Tunes for LIFE from 5-Star Tuning and Stage 3 Motorsports!

allbizns

Reaction score
It seems that buying the tuner bundled with tunes is the best deal. There's someone selling a Livewire TS unopened for $430, which is the one I want to get, but buying it from 5 Star comes with six tunes. I probably only want/need a couple of tunes. What is a better deal?

It is 6 of one and half a dozen of the other.

The truth is you will probably only ever use 2 or 3 tunes. But it is going to cost $430 for the tuner then another $100-$200 for up to 3 tunes so you are at $630. If you go straight with the 5 star you are looking at $649 with 6 tunes yeah you might not use all them but you have them if you ever wanted. If you only purchase 1 tune from 5 star to go with your tuner at some point you are probably going to want to try a different tune than what you purchased. 5 Star does not pick the tunes , you have the freedom to pick any 6 of there custom tunes for your truck. Mike or Scott were always happy to answer any of my questions each time I called and helped me pick the best tunes for what i was looking to do with the truck

Plus a lot of the time you can work with one of the supporting vendors here like Chris @ freedom or the guys @ got exhaust and they can work a better deal for you especially if you are looking to get say an exhaust or CAI at the same time.

I always like purchasing everything from good vendors, they seem to be more willing to help me out if I have a problem or just willing to go the extra mile during the process if I am buying everything from them. Especially if it is only saving you a few dollars. If you were looking at a few hundred in savings I would understand it.

Hope this helps I know what you are going thru I researched for ever before I purchased my tunes. I actually first purchased a X3 thru my work with a JDM tune in it for a really good deal and wasn't that happy with it. That's when I decided to go with 5 star and couldn't be happier.

OP
OP
ZBoater

ZBoater

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for that. In my case since I'm leaning towards getting 5 Star tunes anyways, it sounds like a better route to get the tuner and tunes from them. I wouldn't be saving that much, and I'm all for supporting vendors that support out community (unless I can save big bucks somewhere else of course)...

TurboEd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the 5star tunes from Stage 3 motorsports today. Uploaded to my X4.

Suddenly I feel the "urge" to exercise and "go out" to one of my 3 mile runs.

At least that's what I just fed the wife :gr_grin: