Another believer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently did an experiment going from 93 performance tune to 93 economy. Drove a few 300 mile trips and picked up a solid 2-3 mpgs averaging about 15 mpg all around and almost 16 mpg pure highway. Any trip that length I'll likely load this tune.

The downside is around town the truck feels completely neutered. Very lazy throttle and shifting so it gets annoying. Loading performance tune again made it feel like an animal.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

ZBoater

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm thinking that for 3mpg, on a 30 something gallon fillup, that's 100 mile per tank difference. About 8-9 gallons of gas. That's about $30 per fillup difference.

Sigh. You gotta pay to play...

slowjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having no experience with tunes, a good question was asked and maybe it was answered, but not to my understanding...I hear of people driving a few hundred miles when loading different tune, will the truck go from one tune to the next and be at a point for optimal usage? If I want to tow my boat on Saturday morning 50 miles to my dads, then drive 600 miles to so cal, then rip the hell out of the desert off roading, and drive back in the reverse order....is a tune for each going to work? Or will there need to be seat time to have the truck learn each tune over and over when loaded?

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My tune works in all the above I don't have to change a thing unless I was to tow the crap out of it.

BigBOSS

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just got my SCT X4 and installed the 87 perf tune since I currently have 87 octane in the truck. Holy hell does it shift perfectly now. I also don't have that annoying shudder/burp/vibration from the Corsa CAI. Now all you hear is pure American beast!!!

ZBoater

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That's great to hear. I'd also love to hear people's opinion of the 87 performance tune vs the 93 economy tune.

slowjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's great to hear. I'd also love to hear people's opinion of the 87 performance tune vs the 93 economy tune.

I know what you're getting at, but I wouldn't put 93 octane in the mix with economy and 87 with performance. Sounds interesting though. I need to get a tune apparently. I'm missing out.

ZBoater

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm thinking whether a 93 economy tune will give me similar performance of a 87 performance tune but with better fuel economy.

I'm guessing once I try the 93 performance tune I won't want any other tune, mpgs be danged. Sigh...

BogeyBoy82

Reaction score
Is there a work around to keep your factory warranty with a tune on our trucks? I know on a chevy you can have a stock ECU and swap them out if you ever need any work done. I know things are getting tougher these days but I'd hate to void a warranty on a new truck