5 Star Tuner FAQ – My results

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

J0shM1lls

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok, so if you guys are getting a substantial higher MPG than I am what am I doing wrong...? I was on the 91 perf tune with my AFE stage 2 getting 9.2mpg. I had to switch back to the stock tune because I was taking my truck in for SYNC service and now I'm getting 13+mpg. Same driving style, same streets, same traffic... My only concerns; have the tunes been dyno tested on 2013's and are these tunes geared to higher altitudes (im in southern california right next to the ocean)?

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok, so if you guys are getting a substantial higher MPG than I am what am I doing wrong...? I was on the 91 perf tune with my AFE stage 2 getting 9.2mpg. I had to switch back to the stock tune because I was taking my truck in for SYNC service and now I'm getting 13+mpg. Same driving style, same streets, same traffic... My only concerns; have the tunes been dyno tested on 2013's and are these tunes geared to higher altitudes (im in southern california right next to the ocean)?

Believe Ford and other manufactures when they say they have done all they can to get every mpg possible out of the factory systems. Tuners change the comfort controls, they give you quicker throttle response and better shift. The manufacturer wants the vehicle to drive like a car and feel smooth

J0shM1lls

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Believe Ford and other manufactures when they say they have done all they can to get every mpg possible out of the factory systems. Tuners change the comfort controls, they give you quicker throttle response and better shift. The manufacturer wants the vehicle to drive like a car and feel smooth

I do recognize that the factory tune is going to be the most mpg friendly, my concern is how are these claims of mpg post tuning so much higher than what I'm able to get on the same tune when I'm actively trying to drive like a granny?

OP
OP
c-ne-elk

c-ne-elk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been running a tune for about 6 months now and have compared the performance tune, factory tune and economy tune (all 91 octane). Here are my results;

In town:
Performance tune - 11 mpg
Factory tune - 12.8 mpg
Economy tune - 13.5 mpg

Highway:
Performance - 13 mpg
Factory - 15.6 mpg
Economy - 17 mpg

I get better mpg on the 91 economy tune and the shifting is much smoother. MPG's with the Performance is bad no matter how easy you are on the throttle. Our speed limit on the freeway is 75 mhp out here so the highway speeds are at about 80 mph. You can see in the photo attached that I was getting about 17 mpg on this tank.

These results are averages over many tanks of fuel (all 91 octane) some were better, some were worse.

Attachments

• IMG-20120928-00120.jpg
    IMG-20120928-00120.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 58

firematt422

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rated SVT, no cat-back.

Wheela, I live at +4,000 ft. elevation and all this driving was at elevations at or above 4,000 ft. I don't know why but will all my vehicles I have always had better gas milage at higher elevations than when I drive at lower elevations. When I go up into the mountains at 8,000 to 9,000 ft. I am always amazed that my mgp will sometimes go up 2 mpg.

All of these gas milage calculations are from multiple tanks of fuel and calculated results, I did not use the "instant mpg" from the display as that is never quite correct. I had one tank this summer up in Wyoming where I was on small roads which had a speed limit of 55 and the roads were very flat. I drove for quite a few days on these roads doing some fishing driving between 55 and 60 mph. That ONE tank, I got 19.9 mpg, I threw those results out of the equasion as it was such different driving conditions.

Higher elevations = less dense air. Less air means less fuel is used for optimal combustion. Same reason you get better mileage in the summer over the winter. (cold air is denser)

DynoDynge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently drove to Arizona & averaged 14.5 mpg on the highway.
Filled up in Arizona & on the highway, was getting almost 17 mpg for the return trip home. Until I filled up in CA.......Then the mileage dropped back.

The Macf

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What's with the battery issue? Does it drain itself because the computer is reflashing? I've left my radio on with the key on (not running) for an hour and it fired right up again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTRaptor20